Is this asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am stripping out a house and i found this fixed to both the sides of a fireplace hiding copper pipes behind.

is this asbestos?

34rauts.jpg

124ejwi.jpg
[/img]

f3w95j.jpg

Sponsored Links
it looks like Asbestolux or similar asbestos-cement board. You should not have broken it. Clear up any dust or fibres with a damp cloth or sponge, put the damp cloth in a plastic bag and seal it, put the bits of board in double-wrapped plastic bags. Don't sweep it up or use a vacuum cleaner as that will disperse it.

Asbestolux is not considered dangerous if you leave it alone, but breaking it releases dust and fibres.

Disposing of small DIY amounts, your council will have facilities. You do not need a licence to transport small DIY amounts for disposal.

Google for fuller instructions. Try your council website, waste disposal, asbestos.

Bad news is that when i was braking it, it was covered with wall paper and i didnt see what it was, the next bad think is that i wasnt wearing my face mask at that time.

With such small exposure is it possible to get cancer?

yes, it looks like asbestos. as above but also throw away the clothes you had on and dispose of it carefully.

unlikely to get asbestosis from such a small exposure but don't expose yourself to anymore.

Sponsored Links
also have a bath and wash your hair.

Get a disposable coverall for when you're cleaning up.

Do the google search, I was looking at a .gov.uk advice page the other day. Asbestos cement contains white asbestos, which the least hazardous.

Looks like fireboard. A heat resistant fibre board. Depends how old the installation.

JohnD showing AGAIN that a little knowledge can be dangerous depending on the age of asbestolux it could contain blue and brown asbestos which are CONSIDERED VERY DANGEROUS

I can guarantee that is asbestos 100% no doubt about it, it's most probably chrysotile (WHITE). Most unlikely to be blue or brown which is the most toxic. White is considerably less toxic and breathing it in as you have done will NOT cause irreversible damage to you.

Asbestos is in the air we all breathe, it's in the environment in very small amounts. The issue with composite material is that there is obviously more of it in concentrated amounts but breaking or snapping it in places (considering it's white) WILL release fibers but really it's NOT a big deal, you haven't been there all day sanding it down so no need to panic.

I'm not going to get into a debate about this with others, but white asbestos is broken down in the lungs, it takes a long time and it is a carcinogenic - the difference is the shape of the fibers. Brown and blue fibers are metallic and lodge themselves deep in the lungs where the lungs simple cannot remove it. White has a weaker structure and is more susceptible to the lungs natural washing process.

FIRSTLY - DON'T PANIC

Take and send off a small sample to a lab for testing, this shouldn't cost more than £15, they will be able to tell you what type of asbestos it is. Definitely get confirmation that it is WHITE and not blue or brown. In the meantime try to avoid working in the immediate area.

SECONDLY

Find the HSE guidance on asbestos removal and follow all the recommendations, wear a mask, seal the room, clean up, bag and dispose etc in accordance with instructions - you probably won't find guidance for removal of asbestos sheeting but you could apply the same procedure for disposing of asbestos artex or ...

IF

You're not comfortable with this, phone about and find a LICENSED asbestos remover and pay for it. It won't be cheap BUT you'll have peace of mind. Licensed contractors have access to better equipment usually, they put the room under negative pressure, etc that sort of thing, which you can't do if you do it with a hoover lol. They'll also be able to take a sample on your behalf if you don't want to go near it again.

So those are your options...

BTW - before anyone quotes me saying you can't tell what it is by looking at it... Yes you're right, but given the location of board and it being a residential and also the appearance of the fibers it's very unlikely to be blue/brown although like everything there is always a chance, best he gets it tested

Oh just to add if it does turn out to be blue/brown get it professionally removed, don't consider removing it yourself, what I suggest applies ONLY to white asbestos

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back