Is This Bad And Would You Do It? (Facia Boards)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone wants the facia boards of their house capped with 9mm thick 5m length lipped plastic - on 3 sides of the house (end of terrace - 7m each side), as well as to clean the gutter - all for £60 (a bit of a p*** take I think even for a DIY person).

The facias are wood, but the back and side ones are very dirty (moss/mould/chipped wood), not to mention a massive chesnut tree being in the way. They would need to be cleaned really well first wouldn't they? Would I need some sealer on wood?

I heard capping facias is very bad as condensation can build up causing rotting of the wood underneath. What do you guys think about this? Would you do it for this price? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If it were an hours work, I'd think about it. But it's not! They can "want" that all they like, but you're a schmuck if you do. Unless they're friends or family, in which case cash doesn't come in to it.

Nozzle

Nothing wrong with capping.

Stop listening to anyone who says there will be condensation and rot

Sponsored Links
I am a Window Cleaner. It is quite common in this industry to be asked to clean other areas such as Guttering as well, so I thought I would give you an idea of the prices for just cleaning/clearing of guttering.
If I were to just remove debris from the guttering to ensure that the water could run I'd be charging £60. If they wanted the guttering, fascia and soffits cleaned I'd be charging about £150.

If they wanted the guttering, fascia and soffits cleaned I'd be charging about £150.

My own house has a plastic facia... I spend 3 hours cleaning just one side with a brillo pad and a hose. Would you still charge this much if this was the case or do you have some secret treatment aka a jet wash?

If they wanted the guttering, fascia and soffits cleaned I'd be charging about £150.

My own house has a plastic facia... I spend 3 hours cleaning just one side with a brillo pad and a hose. Would you still charge this much if this was the case or do you have some secret treatment aka a jet wash?

Never a jet wash. But yes we do use a chemical if it is really bad. In most cases, if you soften the dirt by soaking it with water then get up and wipe it with a micro cloth it tends to come off.

I spend 3 hours cleaning just one side with a brillo pad

Wtf? Do you live in Buckingham Palace? And all those tiny scratches will attract dirt in no time - so it gets dirtier quicker.

It's less than 10 minutes with a sponge and soapy water for me and my more modest abode.

Also will you have scaffolding up.
But in answer to your question, no this isn't enough.
Call me old fashioned but normally it's the contractor that quotes for the job and not the other way round.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back