Is this condensation Damp, or somethiong more sinister?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi,

I was wandering if anyone could tell me there thoughts on this. As you can see in the picture there is a patch of dampness across the top of my skirting board in my hall way. The wall is a rendered sandstone wall and is has no external faces (ie internal wall).
The patch just seems to have come from nowhere. Which leaves me to suspect it is condensation.
The weather has been relatively damp of late and as the temperature is falling the heating is kicking back into life.

But, I am no professional and cannot be sure. So I would appreciate your thoughts, and if anyone knows a way to prove what type of dampness it is that would be great!

(On a side note, I have been in the house over 12years and never seen this before.)

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Leaking pipe in floor.

Take up the floor covering and look.

Is floor concrete or wood?

Is there a radiator or sink on the other side of the wall?

Edit
Ah, I see a radiator next to the damp patch.

Thanks for the reply. I don t think it's a pipe, as there are no services meat that wall except for the radiator. But as I have a combination boiler and the pressure is steady I don't think that is leaking.
The wall is also solid and there are no signs of crumbling etc. I have checked the other side of the wall and there is no sign of dampness there???

Sponsored Links
I have something similar in an internal wall.

We have lots of damp soil under the floor (probably dumped there by cowboy conservatory builders about 14 years ago). The wall doesn't look to have a DPM in it either.

View media item 77341

if the damp patch has suddenly appeared, there is a source of water. If you are in a semi or terrace it might be next door.

you say it is an inside wall so will not be a splashing gutter or leaking downpipe. Faint chance of rain penetration underfloor if you are on a hill.

A plumbing leak is most probable. Dig out that wet rubbish, it is doing no good and once it is out of the way you may see something, or there may be a pool forming or running water.

Consider the path the incoming water main supply pipe takes between the pavement, and where it comes up, probably in the kitchen.

Iron water pipes leak after about 50 years; lead pipes might last 100. I would have suspected a heating pipe but you say it is a sealed system. What does the pressure gauge say, and has the filling loop been left on?

Thanks again for the replies, its really appreciated!

I have just pulled the skirting board off and its bone dry which is strange....

drpepe, your wall certainly looks like its suffering the same problem as mine. But under my floor is chipboard, then 2 or 3" Battons then concrete which to my knowledge has a DPM under. But the Wall which is a sandstone wall goes into the ground.

I know sandstone is porous, so could it be that there is rising damp?

I appreciate the comments regarding water pipes etc, but I know the mains water comes in from the otherside of the house. The only pipe around this part of the wall are Gas and Heating microbore.

Still confusing why the plaster behind the skirting is dry (as is the skirting board)

Ok, so I've done some digging through some old paperwork in the house and come across a certificate of a damp course carried out in 1993. This was done on the same wall in question. So could this be a reoccurring problem of rising damp?
The Certificate is supposed to be guaranteed for 30 years, but the company no longer exists so there's no chance of getting them back.
So if it is Rising damp, could I try using the DIY damp proofing cream on this. Or am I missing the point?

Thanks Again

there must be a source of water. You need to identify and correct it. Damp-proofing companies usually fail to do that, and applying more magic lotion to the brickwork will not cure e.g. a plumbing leak or rainwater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back