Is this DPC lapping?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've heard you guys mention that the dpc on an extension should be 'lapped' to prevent thermal bridging.

Below is a pic of my existing house on the left and the dpc level built for the extension on the right. Is the black material that's been folded into the existing dpc enough to satisfy this 'lapping' adequately?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Horrendous brickwork and lousy coursing up from concrete up to dpc.

Hi Noseall

Are you talking about the existing building on the left or the new bit on the right or both?

Thanks

The brickwork on the right is too high and should be 10mm mortar joints, even the photo below is not that good but acceptable, make it easier for tooth brickwork

upto+dpc1+(2).JPG

The lap in the dpc is OK; it's nothing to do with thermal bridging but just keeping the damp down.

Yes, brickwork is a bit rough but is it to be covered up and what's going on lower down in the pic? A wider-angle pic taken from further back would help.

Thanks Masona.

The pic is of the rear of the building. They have got the level of the new and old bricks perfect at the front of the building ie facing the street. The original bricks facing the front are imperial size but those at the back metric.

So could it be that because they've had to build against imperial bricks at the front but metric bricks at the back that we've ended up with this situation?

Thanks for your help

A wider-angle pic taken from further back would help.
Is this possible indus :?: I'm trying to understand how you've done the dpc

Best to check with your BCO, I didn't open up my cavity as long as I install a vertical dpc

The lap in the dpc is OK; it's nothing to do with thermal bridging but just keeping the damp down.

Yes, brickwork is a bit rough but is it to be covered up and what's going on lower down in the pic? A wider-angle pic taken from further back would help.

Hi Tony, just to be clear are we talking about the engineering bricks on the left? If so then yes they will be covered by a plinth. The brickie asked me this.

Which part of the work is 'horrendous' and why?

Below is a wider shot

Hi Tony, just to be clear are we talking about the engineering bricks on the right? If so then yes they will be covered by a plinth. The brickie asked me this.

Which part of the work is 'horrendous' and why?

Below is a wider shot

EDITED BECAUSE I ACCIDENTALLY WROTE THE ENGINEERING BRICKS ON THE LEFT, I MEANT RIGHT

Hi

I've posted additional photos, is anybody going to explain what is so horrendous, lousy and rough about the dpc level brickwork?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back