is this for telephones??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

i have put this in telephones as i dont think its electrical, or perhaps some type of tv aerial set up??...but not used

its in a house i just moved in to which was the show house

can anyone please throw some light on this fitting

cheers
geof

Sponsored Links
Whilst it looks a mess it seems to be somebody's hash up to switch an aerial supply to one of two sockets using a non suitable mains light switch.

It is bodgy, put I can guess at the purpose.

My guess?

The third outlet (to the right of the switch) is the aerial down lead.

With the switch turned on, this down lead also feeds back up to the distribution amplifier in the loft for the other rooms. With the switch off, the up link to the distribution amplifier is disconnected, and passed over to the far left outlet, allowing you to introduce a sky box, connecting the RF2 to the far left outlet, putting TV and sky around the home. Not sure what the far right outlet is doing, but suspect it could be the SKY outlet, but with the incorrect module is use (should be an F type).

Purely a guestimate as to the use though.

Sponsored Links
It is bodgy, put I can guess at the purpose.

My guess?

The third outlet (to the right of the switch) is the aerial down lead.

With the switch turned on, this down lead also feeds back up to the distribution amplifier in the loft for the other rooms. With the switch off, the up link to the distribution amplifier is disconnected, and passed over to the far left outlet, allowing you to introduce a sky box, connecting the RF2 to the far left outlet, putting TV and sky around the home. Not sure what the far right outlet is doing, but suspect it could be the SKY outlet, but with the incorrect module is use (should be an F type).

Purely a guestimate as to the use though.

thanks Lectrician

i thought it must be tv with the coax...but the funny socket connections reminded me a bit of cable connections for tv etc

the house has a full tv amplified system from a loft aerial..
there are 4 outlets...1 in 3 bedrooms and 1 in the living room
that funny socket is in the dining room
there is also a dish aerial outside the back of the house and the cable goes to the living room
i get the free satellite programs and freeview via two inputs on the back of the television

these were all put in when the house was new...i just cant understand what that botched socket thing was put in for...the little sockets made me think it could be for some communications network since this was the show house and the dining room was the office so to speak..

i guess i should of put the above in in the OP but didnt think it relevant

big thanks for letting me know its not vital anyway...i was hoping it might be cable as BT are laying fibre optics all around this area in Cornwall

cheers
geof

If you operate that switch, do you loose any TV reception on any of the outlets, or perhaps it just gets worse and drops out?

Trying to use a switch to switch a coax like that would be problematic - The signal can jump gaps with ease.

Whoever fitted it thought they were being clever, but it's quite poor.

Certainly no form of fibre optic or cable TV service.

BT are likely running in fibre for the street cabinets, and if your lucky, to your home. They will offer you "BT Infinity" fibre optic which can just be FTTC - Fibre To The Cabinet. The last final connection from the curb side cabinet to your home will use your existing BT copper cable. (or if you are lucky, they may run you fibre, but it's rare).

I agree It does look like a bypass switch to let the rest of a system be operated with some of the equipment not in place. The performance won't be great at TV frequencies but you might just about get away with it. My guess is that the system in question was removed before the house was sold but that socket was left. If you dig arround the loft etc you may be able to find the other ends of those cables.

I agree with plugwash, the TV's in the show house may have been connected to screen some sort of presentation for the developer from a central source in another show house or the site sales office?

We moved into an ex show house years ago and it was wired up for speakers in every room that played background music, these were wired back to the sales office located in the largest show house as was the alarm system. When we moved in they removed/disconnected the speakers and alarm link.

In the pic of the aerial splitter/booster is there a dead ended co-ax at the top where they all come through the wall?

If you operate that switch, do you loose any TV reception on any of the outlets, or perhaps it just gets worse and drops out?

Trying to use a switch to switch a coax like that would be problematic - The signal can jump gaps with ease.

Whoever fitted it thought they were being clever, but it's quite poor.

Certainly no form of fibre optic or cable TV service.

BT are likely running in fibre for the street cabinets, and if your lucky, to your home. They will offer you "BT Infinity" fibre optic which can just be FTTC - Fibre To The Cabinet. The last final connection from the curb side cabinet to your home will use your existing BT copper cable. (or if you are lucky, they may run you fibre, but it's rare).

is that an open ended coax at the very top of the coax bundle just to the left of the mains socket?

It does look it to me.

I wonder if that is the cable from the dining room and they have cut it and installed a normal aerial. Especailly as the aerial feed seems to be in a different color of coax from the rest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back