Is this my boiler or my electricity?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've been a homeowner for two years but am pretty green when it comes to the intricate workings of a home I'm afraid. I'm not sure if my problem relates to my boiler or my electricity so it's hard to know who to call out (if needed).

My boiler died before Christmas and a plumber replaced the a part (the thermocouple i think), since then it does switch itself off, usually when i change the thermostat but i usually manage to get it working again. After the other day there was a burnt smell near it on sunday night (like when you turn on a dusty electric heater). I called the plumber who said it would probably be OK if i just used it for central heating when I'm at home (he knows i intend to get a new boiler in the spring/summer), so I've kept the main switch to my central heating panel off.

I finally managed to light the boiler (after 15 goes) last night, i think it stopped because I had to turn the thermostat up from 0. That was last night, this morning i flicked the central heating panel switch on and it blew.

I'm guessing this is the fuse, however does it sound like the boiler caused the blow? I'll change the fuse when I get home from work, so will have more idea of how regular the problem is. But wondered if anyone could offer any advice on this?

Many thanks

Cathy

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back