Is this new heating quote OK?

When I mention I saw he had another office in nearby XYZ town he did admit that was his grans address ... so errrr, maybe that is Mrs Goldspoon!!!

Sponsored Links
like others have said before it depends on many factors and it would be very difficult with out seeing the job ...but outmyway... i am willing to travel the 230ish miles and could do the job for £11,299 ;)

you can find my email in my profile

I've been quoted £11,300 (£9600 less vat) for a new heating system.
Does this sound about right (South East prices!) ?

Details:
4 bed house .. 2 floors .. removing old single pipe system.
12 Rads + TRV's and all new piping over two floors
Using 22mm flo/returns over most off the house, braching off to rads in 15mm.
Worchester Bosch High Flow 550 boiler.
Removing conventional cylinder and running 22mm to its existing hot connection.

I was initially shocked by the quote expecting a £3K less than that.

Plumber thinks it will take two of them 2 weeks solid.

The boiler is £2K inc vat, and I guess pipework and rads about £1.5-2K
So £5K in labour?

PS: I have carpets already and told plumber making good the flooring is not an issue since I will be replacing with ply.

for the record i had a similar job to you done last year for £6500
although it was the 440cdi that included ripping out an old warm air system.

rad`s cost nothing mate

11k is crazy money

Strangely enough a bloke down my road had a similar job done as well , he had a similar boiler , similar radiator's made of metal ,similar trv's , similar control's , pipe run's were probably similar , flooring was similar eg wood ??? Yep the job was similar , my mate has just bought a new transporter van like mine paid £3000 more than I did , cannot understand it , alright he had an auto box , air con' , 4 wheel drive , towing hook , roof rack ect ect , but it is a similar van , I reckon he was ripped off !!

Sponsored Links
im thinking of going on holiday, travel agents want £4844 for all the family.
do you think thats fair?
my mate went on holiday a few weeks back and he paid £1887 for his, how can this be?
am i being ripped off??
im very confused.

do you think thats fair?
my mate went on holiday a few weeks back and he paid £1887 for his, how can this be?
am i being ripped off??
im very confused.

I reckon you are being ripped off , a holiday is a holiday , were is the confusion :D :D

do you think thats fair?
am i being ripped off??
im very confused.

I reckon you are being ripped off , a holiday is a holiday , were is the confusion :D :D

thanks for clarifying that, im happy to take your advice although youve never seen my holiday brochure and the plans we've made, you are obviously an expert and can see that my travel agent is taking me for a mug. dont know how to thank you enough.

Strangely enough a bloke down my road had a similar job done as well , he had a similar boiler , similar radiator's made of metal ,similar trv's , similar control's , pipe run's were probably similar , flooring was similar eg wood ??? Yep the job was similar , my mate has just bought a new transporter van like mine paid £3000 more than I did , cannot understand it , alright he had an auto box , air con' , 4 wheel drive , towing hook , roof rack ect ect , but it is a similar van , I reckon he was ripped off !!

sounds fair enough to me.

trv`s not much difference what £10 max each from cheapest to dearest ?

controls £100 ? for a wireless

few hundred quid difference possibly not thousands.

To the op my advice is to contact WB accredited installers directly from the website

mr lewis, how do you compare your £6500 job and the other guys £11300 job?? is it because they sound 'similar'?? or have you actually done a detailed survey of the mans house?

pointless...

mr lewis, how do you compare your £6500 job and the other guys £11300 job?? is it because they sound 'similar'?? or have you actually done a detailed survey of the mans house?

pointless...

what do you consider a detailed survey ?

pointless...

Actually "visiting" the property would be a fekin good start.

What part of this being a DIY forum NOT a "how much" forum aint people undestanding.

Just looking in the Screwfix catalogue should show someone that there is a mile of difference between specifications.

A cheap TRV is around £6 and a good quality one is around £18.

Similar differences exist on plumbing fittings.

If you are going to call people 'rip off' merchants the spec is the king. Your 'rip off' person could be quoting you for a first class job using first class materials.

You will always find someone willing to undercut a quality job, some will even walk to the job down a motorway. Perhaps you should ask yourself why they aren't busy.

pointless...

Actually "visiting" the property would be a fekin good start.

What part of this being a DIY forum NOT a "how much" forum aint people undestanding.

:D

it`s made of brick
it has wooden floors

just like my house.

i think the op just needs some guidence on what is a average fair price.

11k is not a fair price

You need three quotes from different companies. Try your local plumbers merchants for a few names of fitters. They can't give a 'recommendation' but they will know who gives them quality business and pays their bills and seems a decent outfit, been trading for a long time etc.

Thats the only way you can see if the costings are realistic. We can't really tell from here.

Alfredo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back