Is this normal? Tiles around velux look messy

do we ask for the whole roof tiles to be changed to the big ugly ones?

Hi Alicia,
I have attached a picture of the Redland Mock Bond Mini Stonewold (ie; big ugly tiles), i think they look just fine and sit nicely on the EDZ Velux flashing kit.

Jason

Thanks for the photo! Yeah those look like they are sitting nicely. Is this a different type of flashing than we have?
No thats the correct flashing for them tiles,the same flashing thats on your window.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks. So the tile is correct for the pitch, the flashing is correct so will it look nice when it's pointed and finished? Does it just need trimming?

Ok thanks. So the tile is correct for the pitch, the flashing is correct so will it look nice when it's pointed and finished? Does it just need trimming?

I meant the tiles in the pic were the correct tile for that flashing which is the same as your flashing.Ive never fitted the tiles you have.I think the flashing you have is the correct flashing for the tiles you now have.

Sponsored Links
Oh I see, thanks for the input.

Datarebal I have measured the tiles on page 2 and posted pictures, any thoughs? Thanks in advance.

Looks like you have had some sound advice already, that roof as is WILL leak and is not a good job, in the second above view photos it has also reveals that the battening has not been spaced to the right gauge and looks overstretched.

I think you are still pushing your luck putting 20/20's on that roof if it is 17 degrees and you would be far better putting on either Redland regent or Anchor centurion tiles which are the only tiles i know of that are really suitable for that pitch of roof and will be guaranteed at that pitch.

It is more important that the roof is working correctly that what it looks like in the long run and at the pitch it is you wont see much of it anyway.

I double checked with another builder and he said it's 17 degrees. Maybe the photo is deceptive?
Unfortunately we can't change the tiles now so it is what it is, is there any way the will function properly and look nice? The sandtoft website says they are guaranteed till 15 degrees. Will it look better once the flashing is pointed in and all the guttering etc is added?

Thanks once again for your help!

The tiles a kicking up at the sides of the velux because they will be sitting on the sponge on the flashings.we always remove this because getting the tiles to sit right is nigh on impossible due to the thickness of sponge.or trim it down,but with a flat tile like these better to remove it..

Hi, i know its been some time since this topic was posted....but....i was searching myself as i have just installed 4 velux windows on a low pitch roof, 15 degrees actually, used the correct flashings as advised by velux which are EDW as they are the only ones that go down to 15 degrees.
I also used the tiles which i believe are the same as your builder used, which are in fact Sandtoft 20/20, and are indeed fine for a pitch of 15 degrees, contrary to what other members state.
What im wondering is did you come to a conclusion on this, as my tiles also flare up against said flashings?
Any response would be greatly appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back