Is this normal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I would be really grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.
We are looking to buy this two year old property and my brother, who works in the building trade has taken a look over some pictures I sent him and mentioned the following:

IMG_0095_zpsexyyl1he.jpg

He noted that one of the posts for the porch is hanging off of the wall and both of the posts on the left are not even touching the ground. He said this seemed to be pretty poor build quality and questioned if the builders who build they porch may have also made other mistakes within the house. He also noted that the two front posts were secured with fencing panel holders.

Secondly, he noted that the fuse board in the garage does not appear to have the correct sign off stickers on it and is not in the correct location:
IMG_0091_zpscfctueny.jpg

I would be really keen to know if anyone thinks he is being over-fussy or if these are genuine causes for concern which may mean there are other issues? We were looking to put in an offer on this property but now he has made us wonder.

Sponsored Links
The porch looks like a diy job - the two rear posts look cosmetic and the two outer posts appear to be in bolt-down sockets, not a good solution.

As far as electrics go, ask for a 'condition report' as part of the buying process.

You're being over fussy. And your brother is not being objective, bordering on a lack of realism.

The porch looks like a diy job - the two rear posts look cosmetic and the two outer posts appear to be in bolt-down sockets, not a good solution.

As far as electrics go, ask for a 'condition report' as part of the buying process.

Ok thanks. I noticed that the upstairs bedrooms smelt a little damp (it'a a loft conversion). I am wondering if there is a lack of air circulation up there. Should I be looking out for the odd vented roof tile on the roof to indicate some provision of ventilation for the upstairs rooms?

Sponsored Links
Should I be looking out for the odd vented roof tile on the roof

No, what you should be looking for is major structural problems, and not perfection in what is a second/third/fourth hand property that is years old.

Have it properly surveyed. Get a realistic market price. Adjust your offer based on the market price, what needs doing to it, and how much you want it.

No, what you should be looking for is major structural problems, and not perfection in what is a second/third/fourth hand property that is years old.

Have it properly surveyed. Get a realistic market price. Adjust your offer based on the market price, what needs doing to it, and how much you want it.

It is just two years old and current occupants moved in from new. From what I have seen so far, structure looks to be sound. Just worried that some of the more minor details have been missed on this place. This would be at the top end of my budget so there would not be any spare cash to put things right.

I believe they have now already had an offer, so not sure I would have much room for manoeuvre re price. Just a case of weighing up if it is worth the outlay. Didn't want the porch to come crashing down.

Just from those limited images posted, the verge on the side of the porch roof is top-notch, and the timber works looks quite good. The blockwork is neat too for a garage. So this would not tally with your bro's statement of "what other mistakes the builders might have made".

That porch post is oak and is prone to splitting and warping as it dries. That detached one is purely decorative and doing nothing else - along with that other one on the wall. The use of fence post supports is common thing in this situation as it helps maintenance and prevents rot and water staining at the base of a post set into the ground.

If you want the place get it properly surveyed. There could be nothing wrong with it. I would not let your brother put you off based on his comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back