Is this ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bit ago I asked about using a disused immersion heater switch (protected with a 16 amp mcb on the circuit board) to run a cable into the loft for a double socket. I opted for a fused connecter (13amp) and ran a 1.5mm (16amp) cable 5 metres into the loft to the double socket.
Is the 1.5mm cable ok or should I have gone for 2.5mm?

Sponsored Links
1.5mm cable is safe for the 16A that your circuit is fused at... except if you have run it under insulation or it is hot, e,g, next to hot pipes, where it may get too warm. If you are running the cable yourself, try to clip it to the sides of timbers where it will not get stepped on, and is not buried in insulation.

You do not need the FCU as the MCB is low enough.

If 13A is enough for you then leave the FCU, as 1.5mm² T/E won't be rated at less than 13A even if covered by insulation, as long as it's touching the plasterboard. If it's surrounded by insulation that's a different story....

Sponsored Links
Yeah its covered by the insulation but lying on the plasterboard, but I think I'll move it ontop of timbers. I only want it for a tv signal amplifier and the spare socket for a pistol drill/other hand tool when or if required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back