Is this OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed that my friend has had two double sockets added this way. Each double socket is connected straight back to one 32A MCB ie 2 very short radials. Nothing else is connected to this MCB. Does this comply.

Sponsored Links
Its an interesting one as there is a debate on it elsewhere that I was involved in.You could say it is not a recognised way of wiring a circuit, but it is no different to the spur off a ring final where it is assumed that the load will be max 26A drawn from a double socket (2.5 t+e 27A clipped direct)
If the install method has any reducing factors then it definately would not comply as the current carrying capacity of the cable could well be below 26A

Edit: I have assumed the cable is 2.5 t+e.If 4mm then the circuit will definately comply (unless install conditions are arduous)

As far as the overcurrent and fault current protection are concerned, subject to the normal circuit calculations I don't see why not, though I wouldn't consider this type of circuit best practice.

ricicle said:
Edit: I have assumed the cable is 2.5 t+e.If 4mm then the circuit will definately comply (unless install conditions are arduous)

Cant imagine getting 2 x 2.5mm and 2 x 4mm conductors in the back of a socket......

Sponsored Links
Taylortwocities said:
ricicle said:

Cant imagine getting 2 x 2.5mm and 2 x 4mm conductors in the back of a socket......

Eh?

i really can't see a problem with it, its unconventional but no worse protection wise than spurs off a ring.

Seperate breakers would of course be preferable but may not be practical due to CU space constraints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back