Is this old boiler flue asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have this old boiler flue running from a flat roof down through a bedroom. Can you tell from these photos if it is asbestos cement ... ?

I think I should be able to just loosen the straps and lift these out from above.

Thanks
Ian

2016-08-17 08.35.12.jpg 2016-08-17 08.04.26.jpg 2016-08-17 08.35.00.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes it is asbestos. Remove it carefully and keep it on one piece if possible. Wear a dust mask and if it's very dry and dusty spray it down with water. Double bag it in poly bags and take it to your local tip - you should have one that takes small quantities of household asbestos cement.

Yes looks like AC to me, beware though while AC is considered to be a fairly low risk when undamaged, you may find the joints are packed with asbestos rope, nasty stuff, which is very friable and has a high asbestos content you would be wise to ensure the joint is well soaked before examining.
Should have been packed with rope and sealed with fire cement, if you are lucky the fitter may have been lazy and just used fire cement (Temcem or Pruimachos were common brands.)You can't miss asbestos rope 'cos it looks like, well, rope!

Sponsored Links
...you may find the joints are packed with asbestos rope, nasty stuff, which is very friable and has a high asbestos content you would be wise to ensure the joint is well soaked before examining.

Very good point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back