Is this quote reasonable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have had a new extension built and the ceiling has been wired for 8 spot lights.

I have since found out that apparently the quote I was given only included the wiring and not the actual installation of the lights. He states "Run/extend wiring to the extension to feed lighting" is what I was quoted for.

The electrician has quoted a further 8 hours work to fit 8 fittings, cable and junction boxes, marking up and cutting holes, wiring with heat resistant cabling to final connections of fittings. This seems quite excessive to me at 1 hour per light.

Please can someone tell me if they think this sounds fair?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
So what exactly has the guy done on the 1st job ?????

Provide a pendant light and a light switch?

The cost / time for works to do 8 x ceiling recessed GU10 type lamps is subject to the installation issues.

I take it the plaster board isn't in yet and what he would do is wire for the 8 lights, leave and wait for the plasterer to finish.

Then come back and hole cut for the 8 x fittings, terminate and test. If that is the methodology then two visits x 4 hours would seem about right.

Junction boxes aren't allowed in inaccessable position due to potential service issues, I would imagine that at one of the light fittings he would provide connector blocks to link the TE's from switch and the circuit on to the lights. From this position the cable daisy chains from 1st to 2nd to 3rd (etc) fittings.

Have a look at the TLC site for cost of GU10 240v fittings, most are circa £5 each

Hi

Everything is done, all the plastering is in, wiring is behind the plasterboards which is marked up already. All he needs to do is cut the hole and then attach the light as far as I can see, but I am not an expert on what is involved.

Thanks

So what exactly has the guy done on the 1st job ?????

Junction boxes aren't allowed in inaccessable position due to potential service issues, I would imagine that at one of the light fittings he would provide connector blocks to link the TE's from switch and the circuit on to the lights. From this position the cable daisy chains from 1st to 2nd to 3rd (etc) fittings.

conector blocks need to be acccessable as well as they are a screwed fixing.

Sponsored Links
Please read guys:-

I would imagine that at one of the light fittings he would provide connector blocks to link the TE's from switch and the circuit on to the lights.

By providing the connections in the lamp recess, the screwed connection for both the fitting and the feed / switch cable CAN be accessed. What's the issue :rolleyes:

Connector blocks? Use small 4 terminal 20A junction boxes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back