Is this scaffolding OK in terms of neighbour border?

By the sounds of this guy the landlord might be glad of a reason to boot him - it's not all as simple as wanting to keep a tenant just cause they pay. :)
How do you know he is not a model tenant? Because he parks cars where he wants to on his drive?

The landlord may want to do all he can to keep this tenant and go tell the people next door to mind their own business. Stop being so naïve.

I say it again - don't go crying to the landlord, it will backfire.

Sponsored Links
Because they are neighbours?
"Love thy neighbour" went right out the window as soon as the guy put scaffolding up right against the neighbours car.
I'm not saying don't erect the scaffold, but to go ahead and do it the fashion he has is ridiculous.
Oh come on Nosey. You know you are wrong but as usual you won't admit it. Back down, go on, go on :D

By the sounds of this guy the landlord might be glad of a reason to boot him - it's not all as simple as wanting to keep a tenant just cause they pay. :)
How do you know he is not a model tenant? Because he parks cars where he wants to on his drive?

The landlord may want to do all he can to keep this tenant and go tell the people next door to mind their own business. Stop being so naïve.

I say it again - don't go crying to the landlord, it will backfire.

...and how do you know he's NOT a model tenant?

From what's been said already, where does it sound like is guy is being reasonable?

So far, all we've heard is him being unreasonable.

I've had twelve tenants in four houses over the last five years. If this were happening in one of my properties then I would want to know and I'd then investigate the situation. It's my responsibility. I've had several situation to deal with in the last five years, some which have had negative effects on the tenants, because they were pains in the arses in the first instance. I know which tenants are pains and I know which are good tenants. I also know which neighbours are pains and which ones are ok.

I've also had to make complaints to neighbourhood housing associations in fully owned and shared ownership properties and every time they have sorted out the problem. I don't give two hoots about tenants in my neighbourhood that are being a pain in the arse. Stop being a pain in arse and then our community will benefit. Continue being a pain in the arse and you will be moved. It has happened.

What's the basis of your advice? I genuinely would love to hear a different perspective based on prior experience.

Sponsored Links
If the tenancy agreement allows him to park the cars there, then that's where it ends as far as the landlord is concerned. So stop bleating on about the landlord.

This needs to be settled betwixt the occupiers. All the OP needed do was wait until the guy returned and asked him if he would move his cars. Or, for a small fee, allow a wider scaffold to be erected or offer other incentives that would sweeten the deal. We do it often and I've mentioned it on the forum.

We built an art studio recently and I offered the guy next door £20 so that I could park outside his house every once in a while. He accepted and donated the money to charity.

We have also had to put scaffolding on a neighbours side whereby both neighbours hated each other. Money makes people happy as does getting something for free. You'd be surprised at what a bit of tact can do.

To do what he has done is ridiculous.

Last edited:
...and how do you know he's NOT a model tenant?
I don't. They may be bessy mates, him (scaffold side) and the landlord. But it will make no difference if the tenent is allowed to park the cars there under their agreement. All it will do is make matters worse by crying to the landlord.
From what's been said already, where does it sound like is guy is being reasonable? So far, all we've heard is him being unreasonable.
Unreasonable? Parking your car on your own drive is unreasonable? WTF!

I've had twelve tenants in four houses over the last five years. If this were happening in one of my properties then I would want to know and I'd then investigate the situation. It's my responsibility. I've had several situation to deal with in the last five years, some which have had negative effects on the tenants, because they were pains in the arses in the first instance. I know which tenants are pains and I know which are good tenants. I also know which neighbours are pains and which ones are ok.

I've also had to make complaints to neighbourhood housing associations in fully owned and shared ownership properties and every time they have sorted out the problem. I don't give two hoots about tenants in my neighbourhood that are being a pain in the arse. Stop being a pain in arse and then our community will benefit. Continue being a pain in the arse and you will be moved. It has happened.

There's a theme going on there. Either you pick the worst tenants, or have properties in the worst areas, or you are not landlording correctly.

Those are a disproportionate amount of problems and landlord involvement over such a period of time.

Just put a fence down the middle. No argument then.

There's a theme going on there. Either you pick the worst tenants, or have properties in the worst areas, or you are not landlording correctly.

Those are a disproportionate amount of problems and landlord involvement over such a period of time.

Who said what involvement I've had as a landlord? You didn't read the post correctly.

If the tenancy agreement allows him to park the cars there, then that's where it ends as far as the landlord is concerned. So stop bleating on about the landlord.

This needs to be settled betwixt the occupiers. All the OP needed do was wait until the guy returned and asked him if he would move his cars. Or, for a small fee, allow a wider scaffold to be erected or offer other incentives that would sweeten the deal. We do it often and I've mentioned it on the forum.

We built an art studio recently and I offered the guy next door £20 so that I could park outside his house every once in a while. He accepted and donated the money to charity.

We have also had to put scaffolding on a neighbours side whereby both neighbours hated each other. Money makes people happy as does getting something for free. You'd be surprised at what a bit of tact can do.

To do what he has done is ridiculous.

Yes, that does sound a good approach - it's quite sensible - but on this instance didn't the OP said he'd talked to the neighbour to let him know his intentions and then the neighbour decided, for the first time, to park his cars right up to the boundary - which is an act of defiance, surely?!?

I think in normal circumstances you're right and most reasonable people would agree.

This tenant didn't need to park his car right up against the boundary, wether it's in his agreement to use the full width of the drive or not, he's the one who started to be petty.

As a landlord, and again this depends entirely on the tenant, the relationship I have with them and also the relationship I have with the neighbour making the complaint, I would simply inquire as to why they can't park their car closer to the property and away from the boundary so that the neighbour can complete his work without danger of damaging his car. If the tenants refuses then I'd want to know on what grounds and then if he's being unreasonable then I'd consider what other problems he may cause me down the line that are unrelated to this situation but which could affect me or the property. It's not simply a case of a tenant paying rent every month so I must feel obliged to offer them another contract. At the end of the short hold tenancy agreement, any tenant I want out is on a periodical.

on this instance didn't the OP said he'd talked to the neighbour to let him know his intentions and then the neighbour decided, for the first time, to park his cars right up to the boundary - which is an act of defiance, surely?!?
No. he parked the cars over that side to be able to get the bins passed. Read the first post.
Reading between the lines, my guess is that he left the cars there to discourage the scaffold until he returned from his hollibobs. I guess he wanted an input on the scaffold encroachment etc.

It's all down to jealousy. One guy is extending the house he owns. He's going up in the world.

The neighbour is just a dopey renter whose rent keeps going up. He knows he's a loser and he doesn't like it one bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back