Is this switch ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lighting in an attic space - 2 lights and one switch.
Installed by Mr Bodge-it (previous owner) -trying to tidy it up a bit - ie replace the bent nails used to hang the cables with cable clips....and put insulation tape over connection boxes :eek:
Switch is a metal one surface mounted - a power cable feeds into it and cable out to light no 1 (and then another cable from light 1 goes to light no 2)...the cables are stripped back too far and so the individual wires are visible on the outside ...thought I'd shorten them a bit but when I opened it up I found something I've never seen before...

Inside the lives (red) are attached to the switch (normal screws and terminal things), the neutrals are twisted together and kind of screwed into a yellow cone shaped plastic thing that just sits loose inside the switch case....I've never seen anything like it but it doesn't look like a random bit of plastic ....
(the earth wires are cut off in the cables)

Is this ok? Not sure I like the fact that the neutrals aren't firmly attached to anything...

Sponsored Links
Those cone things were very common some years ago but have been discontinued as they are unreliable.

Better to replace it with a bit of 5amp terminal block (aka choc block).

If the switch is metal then make sure that it is earthed.

Scruits

very much looked down on in the UK but still used in primitive areas like the US.

Actually thought about the earth just after I wrote this....it isn't earthed! :eek: and not sure if the cut off earth will actually be connected to anything at the other end....will test it ...am I right in thinking if I turn all the power off and touch the neutral and earth together it will trip the RCD for the lighting circuit?

Kind of thinking I might invest in a new (plastic!) light switch anyway...

Sponsored Links
lighting circuits often don't have RCDs. Yours might.

Sorry for not replying sooner - had a manic day yesterday

First my lights are on a rcd - trips the switch when a light bulb fails - had a new CU about 18 months ago...

Managed to get a plastic switch from B&Q yesterday but they didn't seem to have choc boxes (didn't have time to get up to screwfix - not looked but I'm sure the switch would have been cheaper there too...)

Bought a small junction box (to act as a choc box) to extend the supply feed and some new cable...thought I'd get rid of the other 2 connector blocks by replacing the cable with a longer piece...

Is that getting into notifiable work? It is more or less replacing like with like (except it should be safer...) ....Mr bodge-it mustn't have had a long enough piece when he did it... :rolleyes:

First my lights are on a rcd - trips the switch when a light bulb fails
The RCD trips when a bulb fails?

had a new CU about 18 months ago...
You had that done, or the previous owner?

Were the unearthed metal switch and the unsheathed cable cores present when the CU was replaced?

Is that getting into notifiable work?
In Fife?

Scruits

very much looked down on in the UK but still used in primitive areas like the US.

Wirenuts - Nothing wrong with them if installed properly with the correct size chosen. They're far more secure than some of the cheap trash that passes for "choc blocks" these days.

Ban-all-sheds
I had the CU replaced ....when I had the kitchen rewired - they did some test on the circuits and it came out ok...said I should consider a full rewire in 10-15 years...

This area isn't on display - it is in the eaves and they wouldn't have know it was there or it had lightining in there...it is in on the upstairs lighting ring...

Sorry I don't know if it is a rcd - might be using the wrong name - if a bulb blows the trip switch on the CU flips on the relevant circuit...The CU does have some safety thing - was told what it was but didn't really take it on board...and apparently I don't need to use one of thse plug in RCDs for mowing my lawn anymore....

Yes - would it be notifiable in Fife....

what about Building Warrants then?

Not being subject to English regulations doesn't mean things aren't subject to Scottish regulations.

As far as I know, the building warrants do not require notification for diy electrical work.

The criteria are different, but some work and/or some types of property require warrants even if DIYed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back