Island Kitchen hood duct

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We're installing an island kitchen hood, and have a few questions on the ducting:
I hear its recommended to Not use flexible ducting, but a smooth duct. - Does it make a big difference to the airflow?

The duct goes as follows: 1. straight up 2. right angle 3. right angle again. 4. chimney. - Between 3 and 4. the duct 'goes back down' a bit into the chimney, because its 5 cm lower= is this a big hinder on airflow?

cheers,
xav

Sponsored Links
Think about it, each bend detracts. Then it has to go up a chimney?
How long is the run?
You might need a jet engine for a decent air volume removal :D

its pretty long :S
straight up: 1 to 2 = 40cm
90 bend: 2 to 3 = 25cm
90 bend: 3 to 4 = 110cm

it has to be this way, hence i've been emphasizing on using smooth ducts to the kitchen dude.
plus he's doing it in a way that from 3 to 4 its slopes back down 5cm to the chimney hole in the wall.

i'm no pro which is why a kitchen dude's doing it. but i'm wondering if these 2 factors 1. smooth duct instead of flexi. and 2. that it shouldn't slope back down. make much difference or whether i'm just being compulsive?

cheers,
Xav

Sponsored Links
its pretty long :S
straight up: 1 to 2 = 40cm
90 bend: 2 to 3 = 25cm
90 bend: 3 to 4 = 110cm

it has to be this way, hence i've been emphasizing on using smooth ducts to the kitchen dude.
plus he's doing it in a way that from 3 to 4 its slopes back down 5cm to the chimney hole in the wall.

i'm no pro which is why a kitchen dude's doing it. but i'm wondering if these 2 factors 1. smooth duct instead of flexi. and 2. that it shouldn't slope back down. make much difference or whether i'm just being compulsive?

cheers,
Xav

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back