Isolator switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a huge 60A switchfuse between my meter and consumer unit and due to space restictions want to replace it with the smallest possible isolator switch. Can I fit a standard DP incomer switch in a double enclosure? something like a MK 5502s? Or is there a regulation governing the size of an Isolator switch before a consumer unit?

Sponsored Links
A 60A switchfuse is normally fitted for a reason (16mm tails). But if there's no reason for it and you have 25mm tails, then an electrician can replace it with a 100A isolator switch.

Thanks, I currently have a 60A supply fuse, hence the 60A isolator,but I am having it upgraded to 100A by my supplier. My query is specifically about the size of the enclosure and type of isolater switch permitted.

Is your fuse box next to the meter, or is it somewhere else in the house?

Sponsored Links
At the moment it's upstairs, I've just moved in and want to return it to its' rightful position next to the meter, but I'm really pushed for space and would like to replace the old huge switch with the smallest isolator switch I can.

The switch fuse is fitted to protect the cable feeding the consumer unit.

If you are relocating the CU back to next to the meter then you are not required to have any isolator at all.

Thanks RF, I agree it would be easier to go straight in to the CU, but for future owners I thought I'd leave them the option of turning off the isolator rather than pulling the supply fuse if they need to play with the CU.
I'm probably being too nice, eh?

Personally I do not fit the seperate main switches, as IMO there is no real need for them, and it is another four connections which can fail.

If you really want to fit one, then you only need a 100A DP isolator rater than a switch fuse as once the CU is moved there is no need to protect the tails with an additional fuse.

You can use a two way enclosure like this with a standard 100A DP main switch fitted in it.

BHCT2.JPG

Thanks RF, if you look at my original question, that is exactly what I was asking.

Cheers Mate!

Only because I guessed that you have a switch fuse at the moment to protect a submain cable, which you are doing away with. ;)

If you were not moving the CU back then you would still have to have a switch fuse.

If you siad you were moving the CU back to the intake position in your OP then we could have answered you straight away :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back