Issues Changing Tap Washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Finally got round to looking at the dripping cold tap in our bathroom, assuming the washer needs replacing. Should be an easy job, I've looked up videos etc. I screwed the "C" off, undid the screw underneath, pulled the cross-head off and went to remove the shroud (I think it's called that).

First problem, when I unscrewed the shroud the headgear unscrewed with it. Not the end of the world I suppose, but any suggestions how to remove the shroud from the headgear?

Second problem. I was expecting to find a grub screw holding the washer in place but the screw (or whatever it is) has no slot for flathead or philips screwdriver so I can't see how to unscrew it. Any suggestion?

Third - inside the tap, the bit that the washer screws down onto has a slightly raised rim. Not sure if it's rubber or what. Is that normal?

Greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Second problem. I was expecting to find a grub screw holding the washer in place but the screw (or whatever it is) has no slot for flathead or philips screwdriver so I can't see how to unscrew it. Any suggestion?

Third - inside the tap, the bit that the washer screws down onto has a slightly raised rim. Not sure if it's rubber or what. Is that normal?

Greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.
You don`t unscrew :idea: just prise the washer off . Could be a washer with a rim - to match the seating ( which could be concave ) from a 1980`s tap - You can get packs of various washers for pennies from a DIY shed ;)

You don`t unscrew :idea: just prise the washer off . Could be a washer with a rim - to match the seating ( which could be concave ) from a 1980`s tap - You can get packs of various washers for pennies from a DIY shed ;)

Ah yes. Thanks for that. All the examples I watched had a little screw.

I must admit I didn't spend too much time investigating once I had it all apart because I knew I was at the point of no return, so I just re-assembled it quickly. The tap doesn't have an isolation valve so I can only isolate it by using the stopcock (which doesn't completely turn off, by the way), so unless I can do the job in one go the other "users" will get annoyed.

The house was built in the middle 90s so the taps won't be that old. They're brass effect, old style. I guess what I meant was that the seat has a raised lip around it and I'm not sure whether it's rubber or what.

Any suggestion how to remove the shroud from the headgear when they've come off together?

fouxdafafa";p="2642031 said:
I guess what I meant was that the seat has a raised lip around it and I'm not sure whether it's rubber or what.

Any suggestion how to remove the shroud from the headgear when they've come off together?
I know what you mean now :idea: that`s a brass seat - lip is part of it . Not sure why the shroud shouldn`t come off with the head removed :confused:

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I've never seen inside a tap before so wasn't sure.

I guess the shroud is seized onto the headgear. Maybe some penetrating oil. WD-40?

The shroud shouldn't have been tightened so much (or the tap insert was left slack!).
You need to grip the tap insert, whilst trying to unscrew the shroud - which may mean you have to squeeze the threads in a vice, using timber for protection. Carefully does it.......!
John :)

It's not usually the washer, it's the tracking across the seat. It'll need re-seating. Is it worth messing around with the old one? I'd change the taps personally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back