Issues with central heating system. Radiators only get warm.

Reaction score
Hi.

I recently purchased a new home in the summer and firstly replaced all of the radiators apart from two vertical ones as the old ones were very old and grotty. My boiler is a glow worm ultracom2 30cxi which is 4 years old. Initially upstairs radiators were getting hot and downstairs cool. I have balanced the system the best I can and upstairs radiators are fairly warm. Downstairs are Luke warm with some slightly hotter. Even after two hours of operation they are not much better.

I had the heating on for four hours and it only raised the temperature in the room to 12 degrees from 7.

I have set the central heating temperature to 70 degrees and it appears to get up to temperature quickly then rapidly drops to 45-50 degrees and this is repeated frequently. I believe this is called short cycling.

My flow pipe at the boiler gets hot very fast but return pipe stays cool and gets Luke warm after an hour or so.
I have tried turning off all radiators and testing one at a time and they all get hot when used individually with all others turned off via the trv.

I have two young children and we are all fed up of living in a cold house. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response. Looking at the manual the boiler has an automatic bypass which can be adjusted. Would you suggest I close it a little and see if this has any impact?

Sponsored Links
Have you considered calling a heating professional if you are fed up being in a cold house?

Tony

Hi. Will check beneath the boiler.

Tony I have had a gassafe engineer round and he didn't really seem to check much and said I should have a power flush. But in speaking to others they have said as there is a flow when i have test rads individually that it may be unlikely to be a blockage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back