It can't be difficult to install timber patio doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had two pairs for timber patio doors and frames made. They are now wood preserved, knot primed, paint primed and first coat of exterior gloss/satin. The 28mm DG glass is in the shed.

Local building control are informed for the privilege of £169… :(

It's a 20 yr old extension, fenestration not changing, damp course is directly below door sills (not ideal but little option).

I'm reasonably handy but never removed or installed frames/doors before. Is there anything to look out for?

I'm probably going to apply the final exterior coat, strip out the first old frame, 'slot in' the new, screw it in, fit the glass on matchsticks with supplied low mod silicon and primed wooden beading, pin and paint over beading and edge of glass, seal around the outside with frame sealant and then paint and finish inside…. What can go wrong ;) :?:

Sponsored Links
You probably could have talked a window company into fitting and Fensa'ing it for £169 :LOL:

All sounds good except for the matchsticks, use plastic packers that wont soak up moisture or rot.

Thanks, I phoned round many local companies and no-one was prepared to fit and FENSA them, most commenting that they wouldn't guarantee someone elses windows. I thought FENSA and the guarantee were different beasts so i suspect thy are busy enough fitting their own windows. One chap did come back to me and offered to provide two of his chaps for a Saturday job £250, but I would have to do the local authority notifications. So I did, and now contemplating tackling the project myself.

Thanks for the reply.

Do the doors come with a data sheet stating their compliance with Part L? If not you cannot Fensa such doors.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for confirming this Freddy, I haven't been asked that but it makes sense and confirms the course of action.

Update :) I'm pleased to say the diy installation was uneventful, the building control chap came round at midday to inspect, he suggested I keep the 'case' open for up to 3 years in case I wanted to to anything else, and asked that I post him a picky of the doors installed.

So far survived all of the storms :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back