Ivy coming through concrete garden wall (with pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posted on here a while ago but think the problem maybe more serioous so after advice please guys.

Heap load of ivy coming over from neighbours back garden. It has created a sort of canopy rather than stuck to and covered our wall.
It got so thick i attempted to cut some of it back (still unfinished) but upon closer inspection it has worked its way through the concrete gravel boards used as the wall. The branches are thick and it has even broke some of the concrete away. My main concern is the wall falling down in the future or afftecting us trying to sell the house. To cut the thing right back to the top of the wall i am still going to have the bits on their side trying to come through and possibly weakening the wall. It will also mean constant maintaining to stop it overgrowing but also to stop it growing through the concrete and the the branches are up to one and half inch thick. Alot of maintaining.

My Mum has told me to go and talk to the neighbour. Im looking for any advice that you guys may have. Am i worrying over nothing, is it beest to cut it right back and simply maintain every few months, what my legal right if neighbours refuse to speak to me etc etc

Thanks
Various2009birthdaysandholidays042.jpg

Various2009birthdaysandholidays169.jpg

Various2009birthdaysandholidays168.jpg

Various2009birthdaysandholidays167.jpg

Various2009birthdaysandholidays093.jpg

You can see on this one a bit of the concrete post has been pushed and broken, this has exposed the metel rod running through the post.

Sponsored Links
Ivy is a bleedin nuisance! It may look pretty on a gabled country cottage, but in reality it is an aggressive parasite that can overwhelm other plants and damage buildings.

I would be tempted to cut it right back to the source...... :p

Sponsored Links
cut it all down level with your fence,dont forget to offer the cuttings back or iirc you could be accused of stealing,cut all the roots you can find or get to,or have a polite word with your neighbour and see if they will remove it from there side,i had this with our fence with this stuff growing from the other side,when my neighbour and myself cut it down the bloody fence fell over :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back