Jasmine not flowering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

We have Jasmine growing in a large pot on the garden fence near the back side of the house. The back of the house faces NE and the jasmine SE so it only gets a touch on sun in the morning (from dawn till about 11am in high summer).

The first 2 years it had flowers and kept growing but last year no flowers at all. I didn't grow much either but I guess that's down to the pot.

It always looks very healthy.

Is there anything I can do to help it to flower?

Is it the pot or the shade, or perhaps it needs some kind of food?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The immediate problem is the reduction in light.
Here is what you need to know about Jasmine care.

Watering: Water thoroughly as soon as the soil is dry down about a half inch. Jasmine does not tolerate watering lapses very well. Leaves discolor quickly if the soil is kept moist for too long or allowed to get a bit too dry.

Potting: If you have a blooming sized jasmine it will rarely, if ever need repotting. The roots must be quite potbound for jasmine to bloom. Repot only if the plant dries out within 2 to 3 days following a thorough watering.

Fertilizer: Use a 1-2-1 ratio fertilizer at half strength and only when the plant is healthy and putting out new growth.

Pests: Jasmine is a magnet for spider mites. Few jasmine plants escape periodic mite infestations. Check the undersides of leaves regularly for signs of mites and treat promptly and thoroughly with a soap and water spray.

Blooming: Jasmine usually bloom in January. Normally jasmine is cut way back to half its size following a winter bloom and then new growth is kept pinched back to promote fullness until August. Keep the soil moist and fertilize regularly when it is putting out new growth. In August, discontinue the pinching In October.
In any case do not fertilize during the winter months. In the late winter or early spring, prune the entire plant back by half. New growth will soon emerge. Flowers appear only on new growth.

Propagation: Jasmine can be propagated at any time, although early spring is the preferred time. Take tip cuttings with two to three sets of leaves. Strip the lowest leaves off the cuttings and insert the cuttings in a small pot filled with damp, peat-based potting mix. Enclose the pot and cuttings in a clear plastic tent to retain the moisture in the soil and around the leaves. Place the pot in bright but indirect light where it will not get overheated by direct sunlight. Keep it in a warm location (above 65 degrees F.). Allow 6 – 8 weeks for roots to develop, after which you can gradually remove the plastic over the course of a week. Increase the light after that.

If you can't do all that - who can?! - just do your best to provide good light and water and take it from there.

Hope that helps

Andy

Great stuff! Thanks.

I had no idea it only flowers on new groth, that would explain it. I have never cut it back at all as I thought I'd leave it to cover the fence, but I guess I should cut back as you mentioned and allow new growth.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back