Jet Washing / Sealing Clay Tile Roof?

D

Deleted2797112

I've searched and read all the posts I can find about this and the general consensus seems to be don't.

So, I recently bought a 1930's end terrace. The roof is red Rosemary clay tiles, the originals I'd say. A builder has moved in next door - a tenant I think so I'm a bit puzzled about his plans. He says he's going to jet wash his roof and seal it, didn't say with what. The terrace is a row of four, the end two (mine and the other end) aren't very mossy at all. The centre two (his and his neighbour other side) have a bit more but not what I'd call bad in my strictly non-professional opinion. We're on top of a windy hill so the roofs are regularly blasted by the wind and rain.

I think he's a decent person and would probably offer to do mine at the same time but I'm a bit concerned about the process based on what I've read here. My loft is currently dry. Is cleaning and sealing likely to significantly extend the life of the roof and is it likely to do any harm?

Grateful for any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Ceres;

Rosemary tiles are generally of good quality, but after 80+ freezing winters and hot summers, it's likely that many will have deteriorated.

Often, the problem area is under the tile, where you can't see it, so the roof may look in better condition than it actually is.

Pressure-washing will likely damage more tiles. 'Sealing' them with snake oil will provide no advantage whatsoever and will reduce any natural ventillation you already have.

In short, doing this could well reduce what life the covering still has.
Leave well-alone .

article-2152627-03FADBA70000044D-747_468x338.jpg

Ceres;

Rosemary tiles are generally of good quality, but after 80+ freezing winters and hot summers, it's likely that many will have deteriorated.

Often, the problem area is under the tile, where you can't see it, so the roof may look in better condition than it actually is.

Pressure-washing will likely damage more tiles. 'Sealing' them with snake oil will provide no advantage whatsoever and will reduce any natural ventillation you already have.

In short, doing this could well reduce what life the covering still has.
Leave well-alone .

Thanks, that's really helpful. I know that I'll have to have the roof done at some point but money's short right now so I don't want to do anything that will bring forward the day when I have to do it. There are a few Council properties left around here and they've just replaced the roofs and done the pebble dash. It was all arranged before I moved here but a neighbour told me the Council offered a deal for owner-occupiers of £14k which seems on the high side. I haven't found anyone yet who took the offer up! The tiles they've used aren't very nice either, very red with what looks like a painted on pattern.

Thanks for the other responses too. I think I'll leave well alone.

Comparing prices up here, can normally do a strip and recover for similar prices that the gypsies, tramps and thieves charge for washing/sealing a roof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back