Joining 6mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house was extended on the ground floor in 2003, by the previous owners.

The current kitchen has a build in oven and a separate hob. They're both on 6mm T+E and they both have their own isolators, and they are their own final circuits on 32A MCBs

In the last few days I've been in the roofspace above the extension (above the new part of the kitchen) and I've also had some floorboards up above the old part of the kitchen too (doing some plumbing you see).

It's now clear the one of the cooking circuits is a new (in 2003) piece of 6mm running in one length to the isolator.

But the other one its clear that they've used the cable that would have originally powered the cooker before the house was extended - it;s been pushed up into the ceiling and jointed to a new length of 6mm in a junction box and left under the floorboards, which isn't really acceptable (and I don't think it was in 2003 either (16th edition then, I think?))

Is there an acceptable way of joining T+E as large as 6mm? or should this whole circuit be replaced from CU to isolator so there are no breaks in it?

If appropriate, what product should I use? There's enough slack in the cable to work with, I think.

cheers

slip

Sponsored Links
Hi ,you can just replace the existing JB with a hager maintenance free JB.

Regards,
DS

Nothing wrong with a JB under the floorboards as long as it's accessible, supported and the cables are clipped or the JB has strain relief.

Hi ,you can just replace the existing JB with a hager maintenance free JB.

Regards,
DS
Can he? I thought J803's only went up to 4mm²? Certainly the only time I tried to use one to join 6mm² it was no dice.

Wagobox and some 773-173's I suspect is better

Sponsored Links
Nope but it was done before joints in inaccessible places had to be maintenance free. You can either leave it, or change it for a wagobox and wagos. It's up to you, but you don't need to replace the cable

I've never used the wagos. Are they ONLY for 6mm or can I do the CPC with them too? Or do I need a different size for joint the CPC?

You can use any size for the CPC, you can use a smaller one if you wish, but the 773-173 will work too.

They're super simple, strip back as much grey pvc as the box tells you to, and cut back as much insulation as the wagon tells you to, push it in hard and you can't go wrong. Give it a good tug to make sure it's secure, jobs a good'un

Nothing wrong with a JB under the floorboards as long as it's accessible, support and the cables are clipped or the JB has strain relief.
I think many people would say that a JB under floorboards didn't count as 'accessible', particularly if their were floor coverings over the floorboards.

Kind Regards, John

In 2003 it would of been fine and accepted. Leave it be. 13 years on, it's still behaving....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back