Joining alarm cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit more advice would be welcome if any of you chaps have much experience with this......

Been running new alarm cables today but there are a couple of places what are very tricky as the original cabling was put in at the first fix stage of building by the looks of it. It would be great therefore if i could utilize a couple of the existing cables. I have belled them out and the continuity of all cores is sound so i would like to make a joint by soldering to some new cable and covering the joints with some small heatshrink, the joints would be made in a bit of small mini trunking (unavoidable).

Is soldering considered good enough? Im using EOL wiring so am just concerned about high resistance joints over time although im a pretty good solderer.

Incidently, got 1.08 ohms on a pair in the existing cable - with using EOL wiring, how does the panel account for the increased resistance from the cabling as i assumed its looking for a certain figure?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Why not use something like these telephone cable splicing joiners
they are filled with silicone and seal when you crimp them
https://www.google.ie/search?q=telephone+splicing+joiners&biw=1280&bih=689&tbm=isch&imgil=45c-Kp5Opt3kLM%3A%3BABHPqwgOFkzQ-M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.co.uk%252Fitm%252F10-BT-VIRGIN-TELEPHONE-CABLE-WIRE-REPAIR-SPLICE-JOINER-%252F330376811318&source=iu&pf=m&fir=45c-Kp5Opt3kLM%3A%2CABHPqwgOFkzQ-M%2C_&usg=__GhEh0DosnLNwoAHKgajfb4S2TSU=&ved=0ahUKEwjniJyZserQAhWTOsAKHaebDCkQyjcILQ&ei=tlpMWOfVDZP1gAant7LIAg#imgrc=45c-Kp5Opt3kLM:

I have used them on alarm cables without issue
BTW 1.08 ohms is not that much when you consider that say a HKC alarm uses a 4k7 eol resistor
That is 4700 ohms or 4.7K

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Ill have a look at them geronimo. Was thinking solder because i have all the stuff ready to crack on tomorrow.

Pardon my stupidity, read the instructions too quickly that came with the PIR's and misread in my head as 2.2ohm and 4.7ohm.........been a long day, all day pulling cables and stuff has fried my brain.

Regards

Well if you have the gear to carry on
Then i would say go for it as I don't imagine a solder joint to introduce an awful lot of resistance
BTW feel your pain pulled a lot of cable in my day :) everything from 2 pair to 1200 pair

Sponsored Links
"Jellies" are designed for solid core telephone cable. I would be wary of their reliability on stranded alarm cable.

Solder and heatshrink is the way to go for permanently joining such cables. A properly soldered joint should end up as a continuous chunk of metal, so there is no way for corrosion to get in between the wires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back