joining brickwork to existing catnic lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm converting our garage to a habitable room. The current opening is around 3.4m with a catnic lintel.

There will be two new windows at the top left and top right of the existing opening with brickwork infilling the bottom and between the new windows up to the bottom of the lintel - the brickwork forms a sort of upside down T

So, how to ensure a good strong connection between the brickwork and the lintel? The new brickwork will only be connecting to the existing lintel in the middle since the new windows will be install up the bottom of the lintel to maintain the same line as the existing windows.

I've adding new lintels to make new doorways and replaced the bricks and packed it with slate etc to get a good seat for the lintel, but I'm wondering how I ensure this since the brickwork will be the bottom of an upside down T - i.e. it's going to need decent bracing for lateral movement.

Any bright ideas? What's the usual way to solve this, whack in more slate?

Thanks in advance!

Here's a picture because a picture is worth a ......

Sponsored Links
There's no need for any tying, just brick upto the lintel, if there is a gap, pack it with mortar.
Presumably its a cavity wall? So the brick & block will be tied together anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back