Joining cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We used to have an electric shower which was removed some years ago. Recently, I have re routed the redundant 6mm shower cable to a new double 13A socket on my landing and the MCB has been replaced by a 20A one.

I now want to add another socket along the line, however, the 6mm cable was about as big as the socket would take so no chance of getting two cores into a second socket. What I would like to do is to "T" off the current cable and run a short length of cable, probably 2.5mm, to the new socket. However, I am not sure how best to join the cables due to their sizes. Are there any jointing boxes with terminals large enough for two 6mm and a 2.5mm core? I am not a fan of connector block type joints where all the cores are stacked in one terminal, I would rather each core had its own terminal on a common block. Another option would be Wago blocks, has anyone used these?

By the way, I cannot replace the 6mm with smaller cable as much of the route is inaccessible.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
As 6mm wires are stranded, do not twist the strands together when fitting into the socket terminals. Doing do will make it far more difficult to fit the wires in.
If they are twisted already, cut the twisted part off and strip a new untwisted section.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back