Joining carpets: job for newbie?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to recarpet the spare room, approx 3m x 3m. So I visited a few carpet shops at the weekend, hoping to find a cheapo roll-end or remnant carpet that might fit. No luck, and anyway I probably couldn't fit a 3m x 3m piece of carpet in my hatchback. It would require delivery. More cost and a day off work. Not in my "project plan"!

* I'm a carpet layer newbie -- is it easy to do a neat job using 2 strips of carpet, using carpet tacks where they meet? A large rug will go over the carpet, so I don't need a *really* neat job.

* Another option is carpet tiles -- easily transportable and easy to lay. Question: do I need to remove the "gripper strip" prior to laying carpet tiles?

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
mike004 said:
* I'm a carpet layer newbie -- is it easy to do a neat job using 2 strips of carpet, using carpet tacks where they meet? A large rug will go over the carpet, so I don't need a *really* neat job.
If it's a rubber back carpet, they use carpet glue spray or hessian back carpet is normally sown together.

mike004 said:
* Another option is carpet tiles -- easily transportable and easy to lay. Question: do I need to remove the "gripper strip" prior to laying carpet tiles?
Yes, as they have a rubber backing they don't move. Wear heavy duty glove when removing gripper, it can be quite painful :!:

Thanks for your reply.

In a previous house I lived in, the stair carpet had a join at the stair landing which seemed to have been done by folding and tacking.
It looked OK -- probably because the carpet pile was "fluffy" and the seam was the width of the passage-way.

Depend how fussy you are :!: The problem with carpet tacks on the join, it will eventfully wear the carpet out, take quite a while though and no good if you have children crawling on carpet

Sponsored Links
Thanks.
I'm now starting to think in terms of carpet tiles.

I may also put down some B&Q Wood Fibre Wooden Flooring Underlay under the carpet tiles.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produ...false&PRODID=60972&paintCatId=&maxBullets=999

Is such an underlay overdoing things? The floorboards have some gaps. and when I took up the old carpet + underlay, the underlay was filthy. Muck and cement from the floor void had blown through -- at least my floor void is well ventilated, though!

Mike

mike004 said:
Is such an underlay overdoing things?
I don't think you can as it may cause movement, see what the manufacter instruction say. Carpet tiles do comes in difference thickness rubber backing.

I would strongly advise you to get good quality carpet tiles. The backing is better, and you would not need an underlay in my opinion. With the better quality you will not see the join when they are laid. They are not a lot more expensive either.

I was thinking of "entry-level" carpet tiles at £2 each. These will be OK for a spare room, won't they?

Mike

Can't see why not. You will be better off putting hardboard sheet down first with copper panel pin or staple gun. A nice flat floor for the carpet tiles.

mike004 said:
Thanks.
I'm now starting to think in terms of carpet tiles.

I may also put down some B&Q Wood Fibre Wooden Flooring Underlay under the carpet tiles.

As the name suggest it's underlayment for wooden flooring ;) Never use wooden underlayment for carpets or carpet underlayment for wood.
It's not just the name, it's the quality, specifications etc.

Mike
The entry level should be o.k, providing you are not too fussy, but I have used them, and it is difficult to conceal the join sometimes, whereas, with heuga for instance the slightly longer pile conceals any imperfections.
They are not necessarily easier to lay by the way, you have to make sure to match the pattern or pile correctly. This can be a bit tricky.
You have to decide whether you want to lay them checkerboard fashion, or the pile all going the same way.

Whatever you decide, best of luck with the project, take your time with it, and I am sure it will be fine, and another skill gained.

I may also put down some B&Q Wood Fibre Wooden Flooring Underlay under the carpet tiles. ...

As the name suggest it's underlayment for wooden flooring ;) Never use wooden underlayment for carpets or carpet underlayment for wood.
It's not just the name, it's the quality, specifications etc.

This B&Q stuff claims to be OK for foam-backed carpets etc.
It is green hardboard-like stuff.

Mike

mike004 said:

Mike

Sorry :oops:
But then we don't do B&Q ;) ;)

I've just bought some end-of-line carpet tiles from B&Q.
Half price -- reduced from £2.40 to £1.20
So, that probably works out cheaper than a roll end.

Mike

mike004 said:
Yes but not for carpet tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back