Joining handrail on bend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

Looking to swap out my old hand rail for a new one that is grooved.Currently have 1 new post at the bottom, 1 2 steps down on the turn, and a half newel on the return. There's a 90deg mitre in the current handrail, and wanted to know how I fixed this when replacing? What fittings will I need

Thanks

IMG_4021.JPG

Sponsored Links
Is your question how to join the rail when cutting a 90 deg mitre in to it? If so it will be a case of drilling holes and using dowels and wood glue

You should never use dowels and glue alone because they fail over time due to movement which is why mechanical fasteners have always been preferred. The traditional way is to use a rod which has a coarse thread at one end (to drive into a pilot hole) and a fine thread at the other end (to take a castelleted nut which is tightened using a hammer and drift) - these are often called a dowel screw set and are generally available from architectural ironmongers:

Dowel Screw Set 001 01.jpg

There are easier to use modern systems, though such as the Rail Bolt:

Rail Bolt 001 01.JPG

Zip Bolt 001 01l.jpg

which are sold in the UK as Zip Bolts. I've used them a couple of times - far easier to use than the traditional types

that close to the newel though I wouldn't bother, I would use a dowel or biscuit and glue, you could also put a screw through the joint if your going to paint it then just fill and paint over.
Stick a spindle right in the corner under where they join, there will be hardly any movement in that joint , being such a small return

Sponsored Links
Don't Richard Burbridge sell a pre-formed turn that you can just cut 1 leg to size and fix to the newel.
Their stuff makes most stair jobs a doddle in my opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back