Joining purlins?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm working on a old terrace at the back there is a single extension for kitchen bathroom I want to take out a wall that is supporting 2 purlins that have been tacked together so what I proposing to do is to strap eithier side with 6x2 timbers and bolt apply brackets over joint the length of first purlin is 4 metres and the other one is 2 metres how long will the strapping timbers need to be ??

Sponsored Links
Who is "iguana"?

Your pic is posted sideways and out of focus. Could you post a more clear, corrected pic, and indicate where the purlins are?

Perhaps pics from both sides of that wall would help?

Does the wall support any part of the roof besides the purlins?

Is the ridge a continuous one piece ridge?

Sponsored Links
The purlin runs from where I'm taking pic to that wall of 4metres on the single brick wall then another runs from there to end wall the 2 Perlins have just been nailed together ,the work will be to take wall down ,I will build another wall further back from that 1 around 2 foot away so if I scarf joint the existing purlins gether and then strap together

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back