joining shower waste to basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fittin a shower tray next to an existing hand basin. i know the shower waste is bigger diameter but is it ok to tee it into the basin waste as it is already connected to the main waste pipe and there isnt any room to add another boss unless i stand the shower tray on a plinth. any advice please?

Sponsored Links
check out Hep V O waste valve and 90 degree adapter :idea: instead of a trap under the tray . that`ll do it and stop any backflow and gurgling from basin . Plinths under trays are :evil: and defeats the object of a neat low tray.

ive just done some reading about hep vo waste traps. someone saqid they are prone to blockages, does anyone have experience of this please? if i use one it will be under the floor under the shower tray so not accesible.

Sponsored Links
I'm fittin a shower tray next to an existing hand basin. i know the shower waste is bigger diameter but is it ok to tee it into the basin waste as it is already connected to the main waste pipe and there isnt any room to add another boss unless i stand the shower tray on a plinth. any advice please?
Not if you want to comply with Building Regs it isn’t, minimum size for shower waste is 40mm. The flow rate through a 32mm waste may not be sufficient to cope with drainage requirements & may well flood, especially if you intend fitting a power shower.

:eek: Oh NO , the building regs stymie another job :cry: . The shower tray could flood with you standing in it . Hitchcock should have incorporated this into the Psycho "shower scene" :mrgreen:

:eek: Oh NO , the building regs stymie another job :cry:
Yea it's a b itch but only if it bothers you. ;)
The shower tray could flood with you standing in it.
Almost guaranteed if you like long showers & there is not enough fall; or you can always have a paddle while doing - well whatever ;)
Hitchcock should have incorporated this into the Psycho "shower scene" :mrgreen:
Did even the Americans have power showers back then. :LOL:

Don't tee the shower waste into the basin waste. Tee the basin waste into the shower waste instead. In other words, replace the existing 32mm run with 40mm, then tee the 32mm basin waste into that. That should keep the BCO types happy.

If the run to the soil stack is particularly long, consider using 50mm from the tee to the stack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back