Joist doubling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After asking some roofers of the best way to achieve a warm deck roof when the thickness of the roof is restricted. One offered the idea of doubling up shallower joists, rather than using single, deeper, ones.

Provisionally, I was going to use 220x47. Could anyone advise what sizes of doubled up joists would give a comparable load bearing capability and performance? If I could get away with 6x2's (yes, I know, evil mixing of metric and imperial), that would be ideal.

Cheers,
Fubar.

Sponsored Links
It depends on what deflection you are prepared to put up with. The load/span tables work on what is accepted as reasonable deflection, commonly span x 0.003.
Too much deflection will crack your plasterboard ceiling.
Probably two 6x2s would do if an 8x2 would be OK, but as for the deflection?....it would need to be calcuated.

I'll see if our FEA package at work has structural timbers in it's material database.

Thanks for the info on allowable deflection.

13.5mm sounds like a lot from an aesthetic stand point. But then, I guess that is at peak loading, and not the norm for every day use.

Fubar.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back