joists top and bottom notched - should i be worried? With pics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
heating engineer done this.. partially my fault I suppose as I told him I didn't want the pipes boxed in along my ceiling. In my defense I didn't know the top had been notched and i said to put pipes through the joists.

if I should be worried, do you reckon these guys are decent http://www.joist-repair.co.uk/notches.htm they basically provide metal strapping and mouldable epoxy putty.

Attachments

• 20161014_192942.jpg
    20161014_192942.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 545
Sponsored Links
Depends where along the span the notches are; near the middle = not ideal; near the supporting walls = probably not a problem.

Probably will be a little more bouncy but not in danger of collapse.

Sponsored Links
There is mostly shear force there so it would affect the strength more than the deflection. But hopefully it won't be close to the strength limit anyway.
I'm not an expert but from what I gather from my SE the strength is more a problem for trimmer joists and other beams that support other joists. He doubled up the ones in that situation in our roof design.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back