Just a quick question....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I am very curious to know this, what is a "PEN Conductor"? I have searched on t'internet but can't find an answer.

Thanks in advance.

Stuart

Sponsored Links
It's all in the DIYnot wiki...
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:abbreviations[/QUOTE]
True, but I suspect that "Protective Earthed Neutral" may not mean much more to the OP than does "PEN"!

Stuart, it refers to a combined neutral and earth conductor - i.e. one conductor ('wire') which serves as both neutral and earth. Such conductors are not allowed within domestic installations, but are, these days, commonly the way that electricity is supplied to a property - i.e. just two conductors - one line/live and the other a combined neutral and earth. The PEN conductor then splits into neutral and earth at the supplier's 'service head', where the supply enters the property.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Another case of PEN conductors which we see is on the railway, such as London underground that has one live rail and the other two normal rails are protective earth and neutral.

You need to have permission to use a single wire for both purposes from the secretary of state.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back