Just had a new boiler installed, is this Flue right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone, I've just had a new boiler installed (Ideal Model)

My old boiler had a very low profile flue, however after they fitted it I walked outside to discover something that looks like it's off a steam train!!

View media item 85536 View media item 85535 View media item 85537
The bracket looks like it's going to come out, also the steam keeps affecting my sky picture when it's really cold with the steam.

I have a extractor vent about a foot or so away from the flue but it's about the same distance that the last flue was so I cannot work out why they have done this.

It's been installed by Affinity Sutton (Private Housing trust) who used a Gas Safe engineer.

NO ONE on my street or nearby has one of these flues.

Should I get them back?

Sponsored Links
That will be there to keep the flue gases far away enough from the vent. Rules and regs change, just because the old one was fine doesn't mean the new one will be the same.

+1. That's a plume management kit. It is there for your own safety.

However if the plume is affecting the sky picture you could try to get them back. I'm sure they would be happy to extend it for you.

Affinity Sutton eh ? Did they put those bricks in the wall where an old square flue was ? Glad to see the craft of the Gas Fitter is alive and well :LOL: -

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys for your replies, I'm just curious to know why everyone on my street hasn't had one fitted when the extractor is in the exact same place.

I've never seen one of these before so forgive me for asking what it is.

And yes Nige they did do that fine brickwork (To be fair it was a company called keepmoat that have done the work, Affinity Sutton are just the housing trust)

It doesn't knock my sky out completely, just takes the signal down and breaks the picture up.

1: I'm just curious to know why everyone on my street hasn't had one fitted when the extractor is in the exact same place

2: It doesn't knock my sky out completely, just takes the signal down and breaks the picture up.

1: regs say the flue should be 300mm away from the vent. Measure from the edge of the outer flue to the edge of the vent. If the measurement is over 300mm then the plume management kit is not necessary. But still better to be as far away from that vent as possible so cant blame the installer if there is only a few mm's in it!

2: get them back to extend it. It will only get worse as the weather gets colder. I have had similar probs with plumes setting off security lights

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back