K Guard KG SHA104- Video Freezes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there all, I have had this system for a few years and have been very happy with it, recently the original hard drive died and I decided to replace it with a larger HD, I have installed a 1TB Hitachi HD which was advertised as a drive specifically for CCTV application. I would expect that it is meant to run continuously without overheating. ( I am a PC tech so have a little knowledge on that side but not CCTV)

It has been working Ok but it does " hang" or " freeze" almost daily. The video channels just freeze and the date/time and camera labels disappear so it is just a blank still image from each camera. The only way to rectify is to unplug the unit and restart, I have noticed that if I leave it off long enough for the unit to cool down it works longer.

Is it something as simple as the unit overheating? And if so what would you suggest? The ventilation does not seem that great and the unit is getting hot on the Hard Drive section as well as the Motherboard/ Electronic side. I have vacuumed the ventilation holes, formatted the drive, set it to reboot daily, raised the unit off the surface so there is more airflow but to no avail.

Many thanks for reading and for any replies

Sponsored Links
Does the power load of the larger Hard drive take the power supply unit out of it's safe ( reliable ) operating area. ( ie is the PSU now over loaded ? )

Thanks Bernardgreen, good point. Would fitting a fan help? I was thinking along those lines but if the PSU is now overworked it would not help anyway.

I did speak to Maplin Technical support and they suggested replacing the old 320GB drive with a 500GB or even a TB depending on how much I want to spend so I did not think to ask if it would overwork the system.

I am a bit stumped but thank you both so much for your replies, any other suggestions out there in case it is not the PSU struggling?

Sponsored Links
Is it a plug in type ! If it's a 3amp try a 5 amp instead, the older dvr unit did have fans fitted but most new ones don't at the cheaper end ... Most top end dvrs still have fans ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back