Keeping a new section of wall square with existing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a raised terrace that is 5mtrs wide and 3.5mtrs deep. I want to extend it an extra 2 1/2mtrs from the house to make it 7mtrs deep. how would I ensure to keep the brickwork square with the existing terrace walls?
thanks.

Sponsored Links
Otherwise known as pythagorus` theorem ;) Google away

Sponsored Links
I don't quite understand the question. 5 mtrs + 2 1/2 mtrs = 7 1/2 mtrs. Or if your adding on to the 3 1/2 mtrs, then 3 1/2 mtrs + 2 1/2 mtrs = 6 mtrs. Neither measurements add up to 7 mtrs.
Whichever way your extending it, I'd think you want the new walls to be in line with the existing, not square to the existing. ;) ;)

Using the 3, 4, 5 method (pythag theorem) is an extremely pertinent way of testing the 'squareness' of a structure so no need for the eye rolling.

I, like Hertsdrainage am not sure what you are trying to achieve, but when we, for example, build an extension parallel to an existing structure, we cut a gauging lathe to the measurements required and butt this against the existing structure as a kind of measuring rod.

The lath will have the relevant markings paint sprayed onto it marking out the trench width etc.

The reason we do this is because the lathe is fairly rigid, it saves getting the tape out all the time (in the wet) and it needs to be done often as the digger churns up any previous marks. Lines and pegs are also used when actually setting out the brickwork.

I don't quite understand the question. 5 mtrs + 2 1/2 mtrs = 7 1/2 mtrs. Or if your adding on to the 3 1/2 mtrs, then 3 1/2 mtrs + 2 1/2 mtrs = 6 mtrs. Neither measurements add up to 7 mtrs.
Whichever way your extending it, I'd think you want the new walls to be in line with the existing, not square to the existing. ;) ;)

Yes sorry :oops:

Is there a standard method for this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back