Keston Celsius 25 problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Got a Keston Celsius 25 boiler that's giving me problems. The pressure on it keeps dropping and it's gone from a slow drop to a very quick drop these days.

When it's just running hot water it doesn't drop very much but when the heating's on as well it tends to go from 1.0 bars to 0.5 or less in a day or 2. The problem's gotten worse, it used to take about a week to drop that much before, and I would just top it up back to 1.0

There is some amount of 'kettling' from the boiler once in a while.

The boiler is probably around 4 to 6 years old, when new it had some pressure issues as well and also the igniter thingy that looks like a spark plug off a car had to be changed. But it then ran fine for a few years.

Anyway I've come to the end of my rope and am lost for what to do, I'm sure there's a leak somewhere amongst the heating system or boiler causing water pressure to drop but no idea where, or what part would need replacing, very tempted to sod the old boiler and get a new one fitted, but would this also breakdown?

I should mention I'm not qualified, certified or trained in any way to work with central heating, so would really appreciate some advice please as to what the problem may be, or what more information I could provide, and definitely any advice as to who to call to come repair or replace my boiler, please. I live in the North London area.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
sanjsanj said:
The boiler is probably around 4 to 6 years old, when new it had some pressure issues as well and also the igniter thingy that looks like a spark plug off a car had to be changed. But it then ran fine for a few years.

If I were you I would recommend you cut your losses and bin it. Get it replaced with something, anything else. The celsius can be very greedy and expensive with parts. Only Keston and maintenance guys will advise you to keep it :LOL:

Since the leak may well be on the heating system merely changing the boiler may just transfer a system leak to the new boiler.

You need to find out exactly what is causing the problem and take whatever action is appropriate. Normally this would involve getting a professional to diagnose the problem.

You should expect your boiler to give at least 10 years service although kestons have not seemed as reliable as we would have hoped.

Tony

Thanks for the reply, yeah been wanting to take the step too but thought I would seek some second opinions first.

Btw the pressure release valve was leaking a bit on this so had it changed a few months ago.

Can anyone recommend (or is) a good installer that services the North London area please? One that is trustworthy and experienced in problemsolving heating issues. Want to get a new boiler probably but want someone who will be able to handle any issues that come up.

Would like to find people to A) check my pipes to make sure there's no leaks, and B) fit a new boiler.

Previous experience has been with keston engineers and boy do they suck.

Question; The drop in pressure has deteriorated rapidly over a very short period of time, would this be more likely something up with the overall system including pipes etc or more likely to be a boiler issue?

Sponsored Links
With a Celsius, in most cases if you can't SEE water coming out of the bottom of the boiler, it ain't leaking!

The exception is a hole in the pipework inside the combustion chamber, which means that water leaking inside the boiler is coming out along with the condensate water. It should be obvious if you check because at the loss-rate you're suggesting, the condensate drain will continue to drip visibly a long time after the boiler has stopped firing. This is also quite an unusual fault on a Celsius.

Otherwise, the leak is elsewhere in the heating system and although you've been abusing your boiler by continually running it on fresh, aerated water from the main supply, with no inhibitor left in the system, it's probably still not broken!

Agile is in your area I think and would charge £84 + VAT to come out :LOL:

gas4you said:
Agile is in your area I think and would charge £84 + VAT to come out :LOL:

im not sure....has he mentioned prices before? :LOL:

We cover your area, but are booked through to October 20th :rolleyes: .

I agree that you seem to have a system leak rather than the boiler, and while we fell out with Keston (due to their boilers literally disintegrating) they seem to be realising that not all installers think they are aliens from Mars ;).

Lets just say one of their service engineers was looking for a job after dlcking one of my customers about.

The Celsius has its problems, but I think yours is the vistim of a cr @p system.

Dan_Robinson said:
Lets just say one of their service engineers was looking for a job after dlcking one of my customers about.

What exactly did he do? ( Or not do? )

Claimed he was changing parts (that I had marked with felt tip pen) then not doing so. Not returning from holiday when he was supposed to be visiting another client. Being so useless that even my former apprentice (you know him Tony) was rasing eyebrows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back