Key broken and stuck in PVC front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. To save myself from calling a locksmith I can't afford right now, I thought I would try to remove the broken key that has snapped on the outside of my front door.

The door is locked and there is still a bit of the key sticking out that pliers can grab on to. However, despite spending hours trying to pull it out, the key just won't budge. I can only apply so much grip and force to pull it before the pliers slip off though. However it does seem to be stuck. The position the lock in is straight.

I've read various sites who offer suggestions but none that have helped. I don't fancy drilling the key hole in the event I make things worse.

I do have a spare key, but it won't work from the inside. It inserts in to the key hole but it won't turn. I've also tried poking the key out from the inside using wire and various sized screw drivers but the key just won't budge.

Is there anything else I can try before I call the locksmith?

Sponsored Links
If you have a little bit of broken key sticking out, why noy try a "small" dab of superglue onto the end of the pliers,, grip onto the broken key,, let it set for a minute, then try to pull it/turn it. Worth a try???

Roughcaster.

If you have a little bit of broken key sticking out, why noy try a "small" dab of superglue onto the end of the pliers,, grip onto the broken key,, let it set for a minute, then try to pull it/turn it. Worth a try???

Roughcaster.

Thanks for the tip. I just tried it but unfortunately their isn't enough key to put the glue on to and set. There's just a couple of millimetres where I can grip it. The glue just comes straight off even when I let it set.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a spare key?

If you do, have you tried putting that into the lock from the other side, see if that helps push the broken key out some more.

Nick.

Thanks for the reply Spike, tricky one. I know what you mean about locksmiths. Did you try John's mole grip tip?

Roughcaster.

Do you have a spare key?

If you do, have you tried putting that into the lock from the other side, see if that helps push the broken key out some more.

Nick.

Yeah tried that. It doesn't do anything.

Thanks for the reply Spike, tricky one. I know what you mean about locksmiths. Did you try John's mole grip tip?

Roughcaster.

I'll have to track one down at my local DIY store tomorrow if they have them.

My PVC door lock takes two full turns. Are you sure it is in the correct position to be removed?

I distinctly remember that I put the key in to turn to open the door, but it wouldn't turn and the key snapped. So it's still in its original position. Either way, the bit that's stuck in the keyhole won't turn if that is the case.

Do you have a spare key?

Nick.

Yeah tried that. It doesn't do anything.

How about using a small drill bit (or something similar) as a drift, put it in from the other side and try to line up on the point of the broken key, and tap it gently with a hammer.

Nick

How about using a small drill bit (or something similar) as a drift, put it in from the other side and try to line up on the point of the broken key, and tap it gently with a hammer.

Nick

Do not use a drill bit as they can be quite brittle, you do not want to add to your woes.

Nick

Do not use a drill bit as they can be quite brittle, you do not want to add to your woes.

The lock is already shagged, what else would you have in your toolbox??

All I am doing is offering ideas to try and help.

Nick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back