key snapped in lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ive just snapped the key in the front door lock, its a double glazed door, how do i go about drilling it out & if i do how do i get the door to unlock ?

alan

Sponsored Links
Super glue, small blob on your key, offer it back up to the lock, wait a few seconds and hey presto

Super glue, small blob on your key, offer it back up to the lock, wait a few seconds and hey presto
You have glued the lock solid :!:

Depends what type of lock, if you can remove lock it can be opened to remove key.
You may be able to turn the lock with a flat blade screwdriver to enable to remove if this type? http://www.discountlocks.co.uk/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=Iseo-I094545N
with the key in a vertical position drill the top about 5mm in from the end with a 3mm bit, just deep enough to access the top of the stuck key and flick it out with a sharp point.Then drive in a screw of suitable diameter just to the depth drilled, cut off top of screw and file down flush.If nothing goes wrong you will still have a working lock, if not replace with new.

Have you tried, as foxhole said, manipulating the broken side to a vertical position, but instead of drilling, use a spare key inserted on the other side of the barrel to push the broken bit out. I have done this many times and grabbed the piece with tweezers. Mind you, if its not flush with the end of the barrel you may struggle a bit, but worth trying anyway.

Sponsored Links
You have glued the lock solid :!:

Depends what type of lock, if you can remove lock it can be opened to remove key.
You may be able to turn the lock with a flat blade screwdriver to enable to remove if this type? http://www.discountlocks.co.uk/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=Iseo-I094545N
with the key in a vertical position drill the top about 5mm in from the end with a 3mm bit, just deep enough to access the top of the stuck key and flick it out with a sharp point.Then drive in a screw of suitable diameter just to the depth drilled, cut off top of screw and file down flush.If nothing goes wrong you will still have a working lock, if not replace with new.

Have you actually done this to a lock - to me it sounds like a great way to bugger one up.

Keveljay has it spot on, and if there isn't a spare key, use a beefy paperclip (or similar) inserted ito the keyway to push the broken key outwards. Just make sure the "teeth" of the key are pointing downwards before you try to push it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back