Kia Pride starting problems in wet weather.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst most starting problems are due to ignition problems this one seems to be a weak mixture.

It will not fire on any cylinder at all when the fault is present. Its as if there is no spark or fuel!

It only happens with the atmosphere is very damp and the engine is cold but disappears an hour or two after the weather dries up. Everything under the hood is dry. I have also wiped the inside of the cap and the insulators and leads but that makes no difference.

Its as if a sensor is giving a too weak mixture but only when the atmosphere is very damp.

When the weather dries and it fires up, the engine gives the symptoms of a weak mixture for a minute of two until it warms up. ( That is it runs at low throttle settings but fails on high throttle ).

Tony

Sponsored Links
Poor spark can give the same symptoms as weak mixture.

How old are the ignition components, especially the plug leads?

Does sound suspiciously like an HT lead problem. Have you tried spraying the leads / plugs / distributor with WD40 or the like?

I agree that it seems like an HT lead problem.

However, at first I cleaned every part of the HT circuit and plug insulators. I have also seperated them so they touch nothing apart from their end connections. The cap is clean with no sign of tracking.

Its so odd because in any normal situation its an immediate starter. Even in wet weather it always starts fine except in the unusual situation when it has been raining for several hours and then it totally fails to start.

It never starts with difficulty like normal ignition faults or starts on just 2 or 3 cylinders. It either starts immediately or not at all.

Tony

Sponsored Links
If the leads are breaking down then cleaning won't make any difference - they'll happily ionise damp air in preference to the high resistance of the lead.

How old is the car how many miles has it done how old are the leads are they OEM quality?

Another usual suspect is the Hall Effect transceiver. Do you have one?

I'd imagine a new set of leads would be the cheapest option, rather than any expensive diagnostics. I reckon if it was my money I'd try that first. Agree with Softus that the insulation of the HT leads breaks down over time, so no amount of cleaning will help.

Just remember when you change the leads to do it one at a time :D

Oooh yes - I made the cardinal mistake on a Rover V8 once.

Result: one entire bank firing 360° out (or is it 180° ?) while I worked out what I'd done wrong. :oops:

:) @ nickso.

libbeeeeee, wake up libbeeeeeeeeee!
slaphappy.gif

:) @ nickso.

libbeeeeee, wake up libbeeeeeeeeee!
slaphappy.gif

Sorry, just filling next months sick note in, ahem, right then, my analysis, why assume ht ? you still could be right, does LT no longer exist on todays vehicles? i assume it does.
We still don't know the age/milage, so we have to start at the bottom, being plugs n leads n dizzy cap, the latter i have changed and been quite successful in starting the vehicle, regardless of no signs of tracking showing, i would go for that first, much cheaper than a DECENT set of leads, i bet leads are £40 today. Try starting it in the dark, watching under the bonnet. If your feeling brave, hold each lead in turn whist crankng.

We are thinking dampness, only so many cures, cook each item in the oven for ten mins, one at a time (leads together) and replace, takes a half an hour, bet you find the answer though.

P.S. Softus you was 180 out.

nickso, was doing a drain over the weekend actually.

Very good libby; helpful, and witty too.

I take it back.
bowdown.gif

While you down there softus :LOL: We don't get you on your knees very often. :eek:

I'd be obliged if you took your false teeth out.

P.S. Never heard of the hall effect.

Sponsored Links
Back