Kinked Oil Pipe repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am building a garage and whilst digging the foundations accidently made a kink in the minibore kuterlon 10mm oil pipe feed from tank in the back of the garden. It is quite badly crushed therefore would like to repair this part before filling back in. Will I need to drain the whole pipe of oil before attempting a join? What would be the best type of joint to make? Are there any solder free types that would save me drain the whole pipe? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You can't use solder fittings on oil lines. (regs)

Ideally you should use swagged fittings, or replace the whole pipe so no fittings are in the ground.

Replacing the whole pipe would be difficult as part of it runs under tarmac to house. These swagged fittings where is the best place to buy these and any recommendations on type? I take it a 10mm compression straight is not a good idea?

Kuterlite, most good plumbers merchants should stock them, but you will need the tool.

Compression with soft copper is not a good idea underground.

Sponsored Links
you can get a flaring tool off ebay for about a tenner.

we know them round here as manipulative fittings. compression fittings do a job but as doitall says not underground.

if underground. a compression fitting has to have an inspection chamber on oil.type b manipulative fittings.

if underground. a compression fitting has to have an inspection chamber on oil.type b manipulative fittings.

What he said.

Underground fittings need an inspection chamber, much better to replace the whole pipe though. If you're doing it yourself do not spill any oil, catch it in a tub and dispose of it properly, it only takes a very small amount to pollute a large quantity of groundwater

If you use compression, put a copper pipe support to enable better olive seal. Is the pipe creased or just flattened and does oil still flow freely to the pump?

Pipe is creased and slightly twisted but oil does still flow to pump ok.

The size of the nozzle is about the size of a hair...so unless you've flattened the pipe bent the pipe then flattened it again so long as the pipe isn't leaking or too badly damaged....then personally I'd leave well alone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back