Kitchen door hinge holes

Sponsored Links
I have always cut with a standard hinge cutter in a cordless drill, never had a problem.
I generally use a 35mm router cutter (made specifically for hinge boring) in a plunge router with the speed turned down to 8000 to 10000rpm. The side fence and its' fine adjuster allow me to align and drill consistently whlst the fine adjustment on the plunge depth allows me to control the depth of cut precisely. There is a slight tendency to twist as the cutter enters the workpiece which is maybe best controlled by clamping the router to door. No need for templates, just a combi square and a tape to mark the hole drilling positions.

I have to agree with Dave, though. A cheap pillar drill with a TCT hinge drill and a simple baseplate and fence (piece of MDF with some 2 x 1 PAR softwood screwed on) is the easiset way to go if you don't need to be mobile.

. . . And the thing is that with the doors at 178 nicker each, you can't afford to screw too many of them up! £50 for a pillar drill, which if you really don't need afterwards (and once you have one you'll probably find it useful) you will get your money back for on eBay, seems a bargain compared to scragging up a door or two! :eek:
I'd use an old fashioned hand powered screwdriver to put the screws in as well. Less latitude for instant mayhem if something slips.

Do you know John, I was looking at them the other day, and thinking I needed one for in the garage. :) I've got a bigger older one in the workshop. I didn't weaken, but it was a close thing!

Sponsored Links
I'm very short of workshop space, and always do mechanical stuff outside.....got the thing bolted to the end of my hydraulic bike lifting table for the duration.
The drill is better quality than the one from MM, I think.....naturally a pretty naff hand vice but everything else is good enough!
John :)

Sounds like a good idea. Especially if you can still get the bike on the table. Trouble is bench top space is always at a premium. I can talk! My woodworking shop is OK, if a bit untidy these days as other stuff has found it's way in there, but the garage needs a proper bench so that I can mount my big vice properly amongst other things. "This Spring!" :LOL:

Hi all, don't know if I should be adding to this old thread or creating another one, but the subject is kitchen cabinet door hinges.
The above is about drilling cup holes. I've some more work to do (integrated fridge freezer doors [the kind where the appliance door has its own hinges and the furniture door has separate ones]}. Do I actually need cup holes? There are hinges that just screw on to the face of the door as Dave54 mentions above. I wonder if I can use these? Are they adjustable, is that the drawback? Strong enough? I guess people wouldn't drill cup holes if they didn't have to. OTOH, doors to rooms as opposed to kitchen cabinets, don't have cup holes! Any advice please? TIA, Terry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back