Kitchen door thicknesses: 18 vs 22mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As may have been observed from other recent threads, I'm currently kitchen shopping. OH (and it's her room to be fair; she can have what she wants subject to not arranging a maintenance nightmare for myself) likes a couple of the wickes ones, benchmarx seem to have the identical thing for a little cheaper on the units, but bizarrely their worktops are more. Wickes price promise time..
That said, wickes only seem to do white carcasses, and I was drawn to diy-kitchens.com range of coloured carcasses because then I wouldnt have odd white borders around my grey gloss doors, regardless of how many grey gloss end panels i stuck around the place...

So i ordered a few door and carcass samples from diy-k. First thing I noted picking up the sample door was "bloody hell; that's heavy!" - turns out Innova doors are 22mm, whereas wickes are 18mm.

It got me thinking; would a door that heavy eventually rive the euro hinges away from the carcass or distort them so the doors would end up hung all over the shop rather than with nice even gaps?
Or is making 22mm doors a genuine quality boost, less likely to warp etc and the hinge issue would be fine?

Sponsored Links
Only my opinion but 18mm doors are fine.....I've recently replaced mine with products from diyhomefit - superb quality, and the cabinets are likewise.
As some of the doors were rather large they fitted an extra hinge for me too.
I guess over time, the heavier the door, the harder the stress on the hinges!
John :)

The hinges can take the weight.

If the doors are heavy that will want to tear the hinges out of the door (exaggeration of effect just to explain), but denser timber is stronger so will hold screws better.

MDF is where you might worry, as you have the weight of a dense hardwood but not the same screw holding performance over time, but then you get over this with better hinges.

Personally if the doors are veneered or foil faced laminate, then I would go with chipboard, works perfectly well.

In an ideal world I would go for solid wood doors.

TL:DR = Thickness doesn't really matter, quality does.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back