Kitchen Extractor Fan wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to put in an extractor fan on the wall in my kitchen that Im completely re-fitting.

I roughly know where I want it but Im struggling where to get the power from.

Please see the photo.

My options are (in this order)

Can I use the cable that is coming from an FCU (small 13a socket thingy) next to the large cooker socket that supplies (or will) power for the cooker hood extractor. At the minute it comes out the wall and is going to be chased up into the ceiling and then dropped down to the hood area.

Running along the floor out of sight underneath the fan area is a kitchen ring that comes directly out of the fuse box and terminates at one double socket at the other end of the kitchen. (the fuse box is marked 'kitchen ring' - even though only one socket is used on it). Can I use this if I chase down to it?

Lastly is use the cables in the ceiling - light ring?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

[/list]

Sponsored Links
The cooker hood feed would be the best option. Does your fan have its own switch?

BTW, why do you need this fan as you have a cooker hood/extractor fan?

The cooker hood feed would be the best option. Does your fan have its own switch?

BTW, why do you need this fan as you have a cooker hood/extractor fan?

Thanks. I don't actually have the fan yet - yet to buy one & don't really know which one to opt for. Something basic(ish) from B&Q or screwfix.

Im after a fan just to expel anything else the cooker hood doesn't. Although it will be next to the hood - its the only place I can put it. If Im honest I'm still toying on the idea at the minute.

If I use the hood cable what would be the best way to fix the fan to it. Do I simply run another cable from the hood to extractor (if that makes sense)

I got something small and cheap ish in my kitchen and its not much use as a kitchen extractor.
So if your going to bother at all check the specs.

But good on you for putting in provision.

Sponsored Links
Im after a fan just to expel anything else the cooker hood doesn't. Although it will be next to the hood - its the only place I can put it. If Im honest I'm still toying on the idea at the minute.
If you put two extractors in the same room and use them at the same time, it's fairly likely that neither will work properly.

Oh right. Do you mean physically wont work - mechanically or wont expel correctly. Both will have their own on/off buttons.

They will both turn on and rotate.
The extraction of air is another matter.

The problem is that one extractor will reduce the air pressure in the room, so that the other one won't extract properly or at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back