kitchen extractor position (moved from Projects)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am having serious problems in how to design my kitchen and Wren and Wickes have been useless so far.

The kitchen is currently in an alcove and I would like to take the walls down and have the how living room and kitchen open plan.

Problems I have is that this is an appartment, so the floors are concrete and their may be some rules not allowing recirculating extractor fans. This is limiting my appliance/sink/hob placement.

Ideally I would like to have an L shaped kitchen, using the top and right walls, However, I beleive the right wall is stud walling to the next appartment, so this again limits how I can design.

Currently the waste pipe is coming out of the wall to the sink, and extractor fan duct is above the hob.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• kitchen.png
    kitchen.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 187
Sponsored Links
Extractor using flat ducting along the top of the wall units.
Waste pipes behind the units in the service void provided for that purpose. Same for cables and other pipes.

Why can't you just use the existing fan duct?

Yep I can, its just the positioning, if I put the sink up against the wall it means the sink and hob are directly next to eachother, also, the dishwasher and washing machine would need to be next to the sink so it would be hob sink DW and WM all crammed together. I am reluctant to cut into lounge space by stretching the kitchen more to the left.

Sponsored Links
I think the hob needs to move to the right, then I will use flat ducting as flameport suggested. Then I can have DW, sink, then DW, followed by a cabinet going to the left. On the right wall I will have an integrated oven and fridge freezer.

Do you think I will encounter any problems with this?

Quick question, does moving my extractor fan away from the chimney and using flat ducting mean I cannot have a chimney extractor?

So the 2 studs "hiding" your kitchen you want removed? Are you using the full length of the right wall? Is that a radiator at the bottom right on your right wall of kitchen?
Also the wall to left side has a radiator on it aswell? If want this wall removed you have to think about location of this radiator.

If you are not using more of the wall, you have to realize that you are making your kitchen smaller, even though you are "opening it up". When I used to design kitchens long ago, people thought open plan meant more space. Reality is you actually get less units because you have less walls to put them on! Certainly regarding wall units. You can ofcourse go for a semi-island type which would work nice. Hounestly the space you have got there, I can see so many creative possibilities. It just depends on how much you want to spend and how much disruption you want.

Quick question, does moving my extractor fan away from the chimney and using flat ducting mean I cannot have a chimney extractor?

Do you mean you have a chimney extractor at the moment? Does it duct straight out that wall? You could install ducting as suggested above your wall units. Really depends on style. It does not look so good with a chimney style. However you may be able to go into the ceiling space. Depends on the joist runs.

Oh and I am confused why you think the right wall being a stud to next apartment restricts you? Really does not effect anything. All the services can be run along the back of the base units. All decent base units will have this.

So the 2 studs "hiding" your kitchen you want removed? Are you using the full length of the right wall? Is that a radiator at the bottom right on your right wall of kitchen?
Also the wall to left side has a radiator on it aswell? If want this wall removed you have to think about location of this radiator.

If you are not using more of the wall, you have to realize that you are making your kitchen smaller, even though you are "opening it up". When I used to design kitchens long ago, people thought open plan meant more space. Reality is you actually get less units because you have less walls to put them on! Certainly regarding wall units. You can ofcourse go for a semi-island type which would work nice. Hounestly the space you have got there, I can see so many creative possibilities. It just depends on how much you want to spend and how much disruption you want.

Do you mean you have a chimney extractor at the moment? Does it duct straight out that wall? You could install ducting as suggested above your wall units. Really depends on style. It does not look so good with a chimney style. However you may be able to go into the ceiling space. Depends on the joist runs.

Oh and I am confused why you think the right wall being a stud to next apartment restricts you? Really does not effect anything. All the services can be run along the back of the base units. All decent base units will have this.

Hi, thanks for your response.

I am happy to use the full right wall, the radiators are not too much of a concern I can remove one (as there are 3 in the room) and move one to just before were the kitchen starts on the top wall. I dont mind making the kitchen smaller, this is just a two bed flat, but if I use more the the right wall I think the kitchen space will be around the same size as it is now.

the extractor at the moment is at the bottom of a unit (sorry I dont know the correct term for this). If I move the hob to the right (or the sink and hob will be right next to each other, hopefully I can get into the ceiling space as I prefer the chimney style, but if not I guess I will have to go for the same style it is now, but with flat ducting.

Thanks for letting me know about the stud wall on the right, the Wickes designer had said that this would limit what I could put on the right wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back