Kitchen fitting issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Hope that this is the right place to post.
Having a kitchen fitted and there are a couple of points we would appreciate advice on.

1) Hob fit
The hob has been fitted and stands proud of the work surface by the width of two 20p coins. The mastic is light gray and its the first thing I see we I enter the kitchen standing out against the wood worksurface and stainless hob.
Is that normal? I am sure that our last hob was flush.
If normal any advice on how to hide?

2) Boiler cupboard
The designer had the boiler hidden in a cupboard with another cupboard flush to the side.
Turns out that the boiler is deeper than the cupboards, the fitter brought the boiler fascade forward but kept the cupboard at its orginal depth.
Looks odd and would prefer a flush finish.
The fitter says that the cupboard cannot be brought forward by the 10 cm to be flush with boiler as it would be weaker.
Is that right? How could the cupboard be brought forward 10 cm?
As it stands the cracks/gaps in the zig zagging stand out and flush would be far better.

Anyway not major disasters by any means but advice would be great!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have simple installation errors.

The hob should virtually be flush with the worktop and it reads like he's put the seal in the wrong place ! you shouldn't see it !!!

Regarding the boiler housings deeper end panels are available sounds like a bodge but hard to say definitively without seeing it.

Most kitchen fitters make the boiler housings to suit by using standard doors and cutting down larger end panels, then use a removable cross rail to span from one end panel to the other, both at the top and bottom and mitre any cornice and pelmet rail as necessary.
Boiler housings are not manufactured sounds like he's using a standard cabinet !!

The fitter says that the cupboard cannot be brought forward by the 10 cm to be flush with boiler as it would be weaker.

Weaker than what? I haven't seen the job, photos would be useful BUT I don't see what would prevent 10mm packing strips being used. If these need to be the same colour as the unit then so be it.

Rather than giving the fitter hassle it might be prudent to get the designer involved.

Re the hob, erm they are supposed to have a couple of mill at most. have you looked underneath to make sure that it is clamped down properly?

I see a lot of badly fitted kitchens, often the result of firms sub contracting work out to "cowboys" when they are busy. It worries me that I meet a lot of people that fit kitchens in the cold months and double glazing in the summer. Read into that what you will.......

If you paid A, B or C for a fitted kitchen then your contract is with them, complain to them if you are not getting what you expected. It is not for me to criticise your fitter, i haven't seen his work. I am assuming that he is not your own independent fitter.

Good luck

Sponsored Links
Back