Kitchen plumbing conundrum?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - some advice wanted. I am putting in a new kitchen that will be in a kitchen extension put in in the 1970s. When the builders installed it they did not plumb it in for a sink but left it in the original location - they did put in electrics and a radiator but not a sink. I cannot work out why. I want to move the sink into the extension and place it under a window. Two challenges:

- The floor is concrete over a DPC. Can I dig channels to run the water across the floor (from old sink location) or do I need to go all the way round three sides of the room? I want to fit an Ikea kitchen (no service voids)so round the room might be a challenge.

- Can I run the waste pipe through the floor? I think fall(?) might be an issue / impossible. Alternatives are outside and run the waste back round three sides of the extension to the only drain or a soak away (is that feasible or just lunacy?)

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Can't you install a gully and run to drain / manhole?

How far is it from new location to existing waste pipe?

Daniel.

Dan, thanks - can a gully run level or does it too have to slope? The sink will sit under a window on one side of the extension and the nearest (and only) drain is on the other side - it would be about 10m to go around the extension. Not sure but getting a gully to slope sufficiently means I will have to dig quite deeply? I could run the waste pipe all the way around on the wall, at a slope, relatively easily but it will look ugly and I can't see how I might conceal it unless I plant stuff to hide it.

Sponsored Links
110mm drain from the gulley can drop to as shallow as a 1:100 fall, forget any dies about a soakaway, it is waste water and must discharge to a foul drain. I suspect that was why the sink wasn't moved when the extension was originally done as drainage was a problem.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back