Kitchen sink replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am due to replace my kitchen sink. To do this I will need to increase the existing cutout by approximately 15mm. I am working with a laminated worktop

So my problem is

The current cutout is the exact same width of the cabinet below. If I try and use a jigsaw I presume the blade will either bounce of the top of the side wall of the carcass or bend the blade.

I am after some tips of how I can achieve a neat finish. Shall I cut the side wall of the carcass? There are floor carcasses either side of sink unit

Tia

Sponsored Links
Can you disconnect the carcass from its adjoining carcasses and the wall, remove any kickboards/floorplinth, and slide the carcass out? Any waste pipes may easily disconnect. They're usually only a push fit.
I assume lifting the worktop is not possible.

Can you disconnect the carcass from its adjoining carcasses and the wall, remove any kickboards/floorplinth, and slide the carcass out? Any waste pipes may easily disconnect. They're usually only a push fit.
I assume lifting the worktop is not possible.

Yes it's likely that's going to be my best option. Thanks

If the rim of the new sink sits on top of the newly cut edge and a slightly rough cut would be hidden by the rim then this might solve the problem.

Using a small drill drill a row of holes alongside the line of the cut and then with a chisel complete the cut. Ensure the holes will be covered by the rim. Using a smaller drill with lots of holes is better than a larger drill and fewer holes.

It will leave a rough edge which will be harder to seal against moisture ingress but it does avoid the need to take carcases out which can be very difficult dependi on how they are fitted to each other and to the underside of the work top.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back