Kitchen wiring help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I was about to tile our kitchen, however I have noticed some what I believe are dangerous practices with the wiring and wondered if someone could let me know if I need to disconnect. We have had the house 18 months and its been one issue after another. I had loosened the 2 2plug sockets from the kitchen wall to tile behind them. It appears that one of them is a 2.5mm2 socket with a junction box from a 4mm2 cable. I am assuming its 4mm2 its much thicker than the socket cable. The other issue which is really worrying me, is that when I turned off the power and pulled the kitchen socket fuse (then turned the main power back on). The fridge, cooker and dish washer were still on. On closer examination a cable has been taken from the back of a double socket from our dining room and effectively links the fridge, cooker and dish washer via 2.5mm2 cable behind the kitchen units. Also when I pull the sockets fuse all of this is indeed dead. I am looking for an electrician now, but wondered should I disconnect the wall socket attached to the much thicker cable, and should I also relocate the fried and dish washer until I can get someone to sort this mess out. The cooker was bought as a low power 13amp plug cooker. I just want to make the kitchen safe until I can get someone, cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi, firstly getting the electrician is the best option. The fact that the cable you are concerned about is thicker than 2.5mm is not a major concern. It's when it's not thick enough its a fire risk if overloaded.Your electrician will be able to advise what work is required, before you tile ! In the meantime use the cooker or dishwasher , not both together. If you have a cooker circuit which is not being used, it's possible that the sockets which remain powered are fed from that circuit?

Regards,

DS

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, should I turn off and move the fridge to a different plug and or the dish washer, pretty much stuffed moving the cooker, I am worried about over loading the standard house sockets just want it safe, cheers mark

The situation my not be as bad as you think. What size of fuse/mcb is suppling the sockets ? 32a is standard. It is acceptable to spur x1 double socket from a ring, if you're dining room socket is part of the ring final i.e. 3 cables are connected at that point. If you disconnect or do not use these sockets connected after the first 'spur' that would be safe enough until the electrician calls.

DS

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Cheers the fuse it 32a on the ground floor sockets, the spur is 3 single sockets for fridge, cooker and dish washer, its fairly common to have them on at the same time that was my concern, saying that they have probably been like this for 30 years

Hi, I would have a radial circuit fitted for the cooker. The dishwasher and fridge are fine on a double socket.

Regards,

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back